Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
CaptnSpaulding
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 2

(Unsightly) BT Master Socket Question

Hi all,

When I moved into a new build house last year there was already a faceplate on the wall with TV Ariel, Satellite and phone sockets. When BT came out to install Infinity, they had to take the faceplate off, disconnected the phone cable from the plate, ran it under the faceplate (didn't cut any holes so the faceplate is on top of the wires) and into a big and bulky BT Master Socket - the thing is huge and square and sticks out a mile.

My question is, do I really need this huge bulky socket or can I get something that looks better/not so pronounced. Also I need to do something with the cable as I'm worried it's being 'squished' and might effect the speed. 
I had to take the faceplates off recently to paint around them and after putting them back on the internet wouldn't work. I then messed around with how tight the faceplates were and prodded the cables a bit and it came back on so there's something not quite right there. I don't fancy getting BT out or they'll instantly charge me £120 or more!

Thanks
0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 2

Re: (Unsightly) BT Master Socket Question

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:
Hi all,

When I moved into a new build house last year there was already a faceplate on the wall with TV Ariel, Satellite and phone sockets. When BT came out to install Infinity, they had to take the faceplate off, disconnected the phone cable from the plate, ran it under the faceplate (didn't cut any holes so the faceplate is on top of the wires) and into a big and bulky BT Master Socket - the thing is huge and square and sticks out a mile.

My question is, do I really need this huge bulky socket or can I get something that looks better/not so pronounced. Also I need to do something with the cable as I'm worried it's being 'squished' and might effect the speed. 
I had to take the faceplates off recently to paint around them and after putting them back on the internet wouldn't work. I then messed around with how tight the faceplates were and prodded the cables a bit and it came back on so there's something not quite right there. I don't fancy getting BT out or they'll instantly charge me £120 or more!

Thanks

According to the guidelines, BT responsibility ends at the point of installation to the master socket.

You will have to live with the unsightly new master socket, though. Out of interest was it a single faceplate, or a combined multipurpose plate - TV, Satellite, phone.  The phone socket is usually separate, and fitted remote to the others - sometimes using an ornate "Georgian" brass faceplate. In which case the master socket should have replaced it in that position.

It was all done in poor spirit if the BT installer couldn't "chase" a channel into the plasterwork at the time, to avoid the cable being trapped. You may have a demarcation problem. You could always ask.... 

0 Ratings