Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
internetuser01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 34

Unstable connection / high ping spikes

Hey,

I've had a perfect broadband service since I moved to this address around 8 months ago, but in the last week and a half I've been experiencing very high and very frequent ping spikes at all times of the day.

My download / upload are both unaffected, and when it isn't spiking into the 100-200s my ping is still very good (usually around 10-20 to UK/Europe servers).

I've been through all the standard troubleshooting: restarting every device, restarting the router, checking at different times of the day, updating drivers, factory restoring the router, checking connections, etc. I've also contacted BT who "refreshed my line" but that hasn't made a difference.

I've been using pingplotter for a few days to try and get an idea of where my issue lies and it seems like my latency seems to be unstable on 2nd and the 3rd/4th hops. The 2nd hop is a 172.16.14.188 address which I believe is local? I'm not 100% sure of this one. The other addresses are in the "31.55.187.XXX" range, which I believe are BT addresses. The high ping then carries down to the rest the addresses until it hits its destination. When my latency isn't affected by the 2nd, 3rd or 4th hops it barely increases at all the entire way.

I'm currently running pingplotters on 3 targets: 185.40.65.1, 162.249.72.1 and google.com. The former 2 addresses are League of Legends EU-West targets. When I'm not spiking these addresses are returning with pings in the region of 9-11ms~, however frequently they shoot up into the region of 220-230 and this is pulling my average ping up to about 24ms~ (to indicate how frequently I'm spiking). 

The google address is very similar, with my 'standard' ping being around 12-13ms~, but frequent spikes into the 100ms/200ms.

If I run a ping -t for a while in command prompt, you can see that every 3rd or 4th ping spikes and is usually 10-20x slower than the others. 

Other info:

• My device is connected to the router by ethernet
  • I've tested all of the above when I am the only device connected to the router
  • My router is connected to the master socket directly
  • My master socket is a top/bottom style, and we aren't using the phone socket

I've attached some pictures below, maybe they are helpful

162.249.72.1 jan15 evening.PNGPingplotter 1185.40.65.1 jan15 evening.PNGPingplotter 2

cmdprompt.pngPing -t to google.com 

google graph.PNGPingplotter graph for google.com 

Any assistance would be massively appreciated

Edit: and just to reiterate my connection was 100% fine and stable up until a week and a half ago.. I haven't changed any hardware or moved any cables.. it just started doing this 1 evening. 

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
internetuser01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 34

Re: Unstable connection / high ping spikes

Just an update, spoken to an engineer again today after radio silence while waiting for a phonecall.

He told me that "Ping latency is something that BT does not guarantee on any of its package" and "We are more focussed on the speed and the stability and ping is not taken into concern".

Here are my pingplotter latency graphs for tonight: 

Pingplotter 21.09.PNGPingplotter google.com 21.09

Not quite sure what I can do in this situation. I'm still under contract with BT and if they are blowing me off and telling me they wont even look into my issue as my upload/download are both fine I'm stuck with unusable internet (for my requirements atleast). 

Going to ring the "Tech Expert Desk" and see what they say.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 34

If connection unstable how often is it dropping connection?  Can you post the router stats?

check for line noise. Dual 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
internetuser01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 34

Hey, thanks for the reply. I've not had any complete disconnects, but the ping spikes are so large that I drop frames and experience rubberbanding (feel like 1s mini-disconnects).

I've just got a phone and tested the 17070 line, it's pretty much completely silent. A tiny bit of fuzzing in the background but I was using a cordless phone so partly due to that I think.

Router logs:

BT Smart hub settings & statistics

Spoiler

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ74283266

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:

20-Jan-2019

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 20 Hours 22 Minutes 25 Seconds

Data rate:

20.00 Mbps / 79.03 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

21342 / 80927

Noise margin:

7 dB / 3.4 dB

Line attenuation:

17.6 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

1718 MB Uploaded / 24707 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-RX9C

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-RX9C

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 44)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

A0:39:EE:4E:DF:E1

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 34

The hub stats look ok with max speed 79/80mb but only 20hrs connection time. Was that a manual reset?

with noise margin about 3db would suggest G.INP is active

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
internetuser01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 34

I factory reset the hub (for the 2nd time) 20 hours ago, yeah.

0 Ratings
internetuser01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 34

Not getting any response from BT on social media & their support team is no longer helping because it's a ping/latency issue and not a download/upload speed or connection issue.

Really hoping someone from this forum can help me out as this is my last hope... 

0 Ratings
Railwayman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 34

Hi

Have you tried the router pluged directly into the test socket to eliminate any internal wiring faults (if fitted).

Had the same problem as you, thou on ADSL, was lucky enough to get an intrested Openreach guy on the second visit (he could see errors when testing) who replaced my drop wire from the pole to house and installed a new 5C mk4 master socket which solved the problem.

No fun playing FPS games with dodgy ping, good luck.

0 Ratings
internetuser01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 34

Just replying to this thread to say it's coming up on 2 months and I'm still experiencing the exact same issues. Any video streaming (netflix, amazon, iplayer, youtube) gives me ping spikes every few seconds (while it buffers the videos). 

Audio streaming has no effect, other people gaming has no effect.

There is dozens of threads with people having the EXACT same issues (video streaming causing high ping on games), all dated within the last few months, and none of them have been resolved.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Latency-Ping-issues/td-p/1914254

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Gaming-ping-spikes-all-of-a-sudden-when-Netflix...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Ping-spikes-when-gaming-and-watching-Netflix-an...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Re-Ping-Latency-spikes-for-3-months-straight/m-...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Stumped-by-high-ping-spikes/m-p/1874362

I've had my line tested & my router replaced, I've had an engineer out and I've been hung up on by phone support more times than I care for. I've been told to wait while "work" is being completed in my area and been told that BT don't care about ping issues (they only gauranteed upload/download). BT will be joining Virgin as my avoid-at-all-costs ISP's if this isn't resolved this month. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 34

You may find that the issue is the same with all providers who use the Openreach fibre cabinets. I don`t think there is going to be an easy fix, as buffering is occurring in both the home hub, and the network aggregation node.

You can reduce the effect by prioritising connections within your network, so that streaming applications do not take all of the download and upload bandwidth. That should reduce buffering on devices that need a fast response time, and give them priority.

There have been no reports of this issue on standard ADSL broadband connections, and I cannot reproduce the symptoms on my ADSL connection.

0 Ratings