cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

Upgraded from a TP Link TD-W9980 to a Archer VR400 Modem/Router

Just wanted to let everyone know incase anyone is looking, I couldn't find a single review for TP Link's VR400, but plenty of Praise of the VR200 and some positives about the VR600

i've had my 9980 since launch, and its been a great router, but i've started having intermittant trouble with wifi recently, thought i should share my experiance, the 9980, my 9980 had a line sync of around 47mb but speed was always stuck at 34999, i figured BT is doing something to hold me back, or something to do with this vectoring i've read about, 24 hours later with the VR400 and my line is now sync'd at 54691 and the line speed is 48998 down.

the VR400 is currently on offer in PC world and price matched on amazon at £65, considering I paid £75 for the W9980 and this one supports dual band AC with Beamforming which really seems to help, its cheaper than the VR200 & VR600 its identical to the W9980 in terms of looks, expect for its missing one USB port and only has one gigabit lan with 3 regular speed lan ports, for me i only use one lan port so its not really an issue, and the only reason i had the other router was that it supported a modem built in, wifi range is far better, i can now use 5ghz over the entire house, before in the further reaches i had to use 2.4 as it would drop out

so far the only downside i can see is that there is no IPv4 firewall which i used to use to block ad's on various site so i could browse from a mobile devices easier, the interface is friendlier, which i kind of like but also prefer the simpler older style, it has a different simple acces view for mobile devices which is easily switchable to full too. I personally like the design, I was torn between this and the VR200, the VR200 seems to better in everyway except for the wireless AC, but the cheaper price and the fact i didn't really need the USB ports or gigabyte ethernet, infact i've never used the USB, so missing one isn't a deal breaker.

Tags (2)
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 23

Re: Upgraded from a TP Link TD-W9980 to a Archer VR400 Modem/Router

Hi stead, I've been using the VR400 since last November when I got it from PC world and it's been doing the job fine. Way way more stable than the HH5. I think you'll find it does have a Firewall, you just can't access it. If you go onto a site that'll test your Firewall, I used ShieldsUP, you should find it's pretty secure.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 23

Thanks for the reply, I meant the user customisable firewall, the parental controls just seem to be blocking keywords to me unless it's working the same way, wth the W9980 ou can blacklist/whitelist IP addreses and host names, i used it to block annoying adverts on certain sites, those more recent take over the page auto play video ones drive me nuts so i've always blocked them at the router to save frustration.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 23

Would browser add-ons like an add blocker and a script blocker etc, not provide the same function?

I use Waterfox (Firefox derivative) and don't get adds, tracking scripts, tracking cookies, pop ups etc.  No need to make hundreds of entries in the firewall, just a few simple changes in the browser.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

@Liam_ wrote:

Would browser add-ons like an add blocker and a script blocker etc, not provide the same function?

I use Waterfox (Firefox derivative) and don't get adds, tracking scripts, tracking cookies, pop ups etc.  No need to make hundreds of entries in the firewall, just a few simple changes in the browser.

@@stead wanted it to work on mobile browsers as well.

I block any unwanted sites via OpenDNS, but that will not work wit BT Protect or BT parental controls.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 23

@Keith_Beddoe

Interesting.  I had put Firefox on tablets here and some add-ons.  Never gave mobile phones a thought, always considered the screens too small for practical browsing.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 23

@stead

I wondered about mobile devices after what Keith had mentioned, so I put Firefox on my mobile and then the uBlock origin add on.  Seems to be doing it's job of blocking the adds.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 23

thanks for the suggetions!

i'm using windows phone, the firefox + addon doesn't work for me sadly, but we are probably one of the few that sometimes uses our smart tv for the internet, not often, but you know enough to have gotten to the point of adding some exclusions on the router!

i'm otherwise very impressed with this router, line has been stable seemingly at 48998kbps with a sync rate of 57908, the firewall isn't a deal breaker, its just something i miss from older routers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 23

Didn't realise it was a Windows phone, so what about Opera Mini?

http://www.opera.com/mobile/mini

Supposed to have built-in add blocker.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 23

cheers, i'll give that ago!

used to be a big opera fan, haven't used it for years but used to be the goto browser for me! didn't even realise it was on windows phone

0 Ratings