cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oddjones
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Upgraded to full fibre questions about speed and discs

Hi there, so I upgraded to full fibre to the prem (900) and am conscious I probably need to upgrade some kit as well...

I was on complete wifi, so already had a smarthub 2 (no wan port) and two discs... so first question is How do I get the discs to work with my new smarthub 2 (with wan port) 

Second question - if I'm going to make the most of my new speed (I've gone from 30 is Mbit to 900) - am I best to just use my existing wifi setup or wire the discs in via gigabit powerlines?

3rd question - Can I use my now redundant old smarthub 2 as a wifi extender (effectively a third disc)

also I notice that I only seem to be getting about 160mbit download and 50mbit upoload - the engineer said it may take a couple of days to settle in but surely I should be expecting a bit better than that?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
brookheather
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Upgraded to full fibre questions about speed and discs

How are you testing your download speed - you will need a wired connection direct to the SH2 to properly test the speed.  On wireless you will get much lower speeds and possibly even less on powerline adapters.  If you are only going to be using wireless then little point paying for 500 or 900 Mbps tiers as you won't get near the maximum speed.

0 Ratings
oddjones
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

yep, cat7 cable into the back of the SH2 gives 275Mbps download and 72Mbps upload - seems very slow.

0 Ratings
gareth3561
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

I had it installed yesterday and should be getting 500mb. At present my download speed is 78mb! I too am using a cat 5 direct connection into the hub.

0 Ratings
oddjones
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

I spoke with BT last night about it - they said the order hadn't even been completed yet - that I should wait at least a day before expecting to see full speed.

Funny, as they cut my old broadband off about 20 minutes after the openreach engineer left. A bit of a case of the left hand and right hand not knowing what either of them (or the head for that matter) are doing.

Still the same 24 hours later like... not that I'm really complaining - this is still 10x the speed I'm used to - they want to be careful as I may reduce my speed down to 300 - seems plenty for me 😄

0 Ratings
oddjones
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Might want to check the cable - I tried a CAT5 and a CAT7 & got very different results (seems they actually DO make a difference 🤣) - but if you're anything like me you've probably still got a way to wait yet --- If I look in "My Orders" in the My BT section of the BT.com website I'm seeing this box : 

oddjones_0-1591702924466.png

0 Ratings