Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
piglet22
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Upgrading BT HomeHub 4 Infinity WiFi

I would appreciate some advice.

I have FCCP BT Infinity, Openreach ECI VDSL modem and HH4 router.

I have always used wired CAT5e LAN to connect things like the PCs, NAS, TV etc. with little use of the HH4 WiFi. I put RJ45 sockets in most rooms.

Now that I have ventured into mobile phone territory, I am discovering just how poor the WiFi coverage is. Plus I am dabbling with other WiFi devices like ESP32 for DIY lighting control etc.

I want to keep the wired network, but improve the WiFi coverage. All options are open. I have one ZyXel 3205 router set up as a WAP and plugged into the wired network and that helps a bit, but it does mean swapping between the HH4  and the ZyXel to maintain a connection

I have seen fairly good reports of the Google WiFi units in mesh mode. The HH4 is getting on a bit now and I understand support for the Openreach modem is ending.

So, if anyone has any views or experience, I would be pleased to hear..

Incidentally, Virgin Media recently went to a lot of trouble to lay their fibre to the property boundary. The snag is getting it into the house. Lawn and driveway in the way. Having seen the pavement crews in action, I wouldn't want them on my property. Uptake locally has been poor for that reason alone.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Upgrading BT HomeHub 4 Infinity WiFi

0 Ratings
piglet22
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Hello
Thanks for that.
BT have been badgering me for some weeks now with this offer.
If it wasn't for the fact that the HH4 was supplied by BT, I might be interested. In the T&Cs it says that if you already have a hub supplied by BT, then you have to buy the smart hub. As I already pay them quite a lot and previous HHs have not lasted long, I would prefer a non-BT route. I might try a newer VDSL modem/router to start with, then look at adding meshed WiFi. The existing setup needs a facelift.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 4 of 6

If you have a HH4 now and upgrade to complete wi-fi, you'll get a free Smart Hub 2 along with the wi-fi disc as part of the order.

piglet22
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Not trying to be picky, but to quote T&Cs from 7/6/19
"Superfast Fibre Plus: Prices and terms subject to change during the contract term. 80% UK availability. For new and existing BT Broadband customers that sign up for 18 months. Price from month 19 currently £58.99 a month. Includes Unlimited Weekend Calls, BT Virus Protect, 1000GB Cloud and a BT Home Hub (unless BT has already provided you with one). If you leave in the first year, we'll charge you up to £65 towards the cost of your new Hub."
I take it mean if they have not provided a hub previously, then they provide one, but as I'm on my fourth hub ( two HH3 failed, one HH4 as replacement, that one blown up by lightning strike, new HH4 provided).
It would be clearer if they said "unless you already have a BT Smart Hub 2", but they don't. I dare say they might be open to some haggling. As BT are quoting tonight £200 for the hub alone, that's more than I am willing to shell out.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 6 of 6

It means unless you have a Smart Hub 2 already, customers can opt to buy one, the complete wi-fi discs are only compatible with the SH2, so even if you have all the previous hubs, you'll still get a SH2 free as it's required for the package to work.

0 Ratings