cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mamvcivm
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Upgrading from Hub 3 to hub 5

I've just bought a Homehub 5 from a charity shop to replace my aging Homehub 3. The problem I have is that the white dsl socket on the left of the device is an RJ45 socket and the dsl cable plugged into my wall socket is an RJ11.

IMG_0202.JPG

I've got round this problem by keeping the Openreach Modem in the circuit and plugging its (CAT5) output into the red socket on the back of the newer Homehub. Is there any way I can eliminate the modem? 

Cheers,

Andrew

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

It's an rj11 on the one I have, however, an rj11 plug is designed to fit an rj45 socket ( but not vice versa) so you can just plug it in.

0 Ratings
dml
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Thank you. However, the HHome Hub 5 belonged to BT and should have been returned to Bt.

dml

0 Ratings
mamvcivm
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Re: Upgrading from Hub 3 to hub 5

Thanks - I'll give this a go!

Cheers

0 Ratings
mamvcivm
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Hmmm, dilemma - I bought this in good faith from a charity shop, perhaps I should take it back and get a refund and tell them they should return it to BT.

However, when I upgraded from the very basic BT broadband (about 8 years ago -I think I had a HH1 then) BT weren't interested in the old HH so I binned it. Now, the question perhaps is, if I decide to keep the HH5, should I send the HH3 to BT...?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

It does not belong to BT. Who ever first owned it would have paid for it during the course of their contract.

Message 7 of 7

Hi @mamvcivm The advice given by @gg30340 is correct. The hub can be returned to be recycled see this Help Page  as we try to reduce unnecessary waste and reduce our environmental impact.

Cheers

John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings