cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaydog69
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Upgrading to a Smart Hub

I have  home hub 5 and pretty solid walls and the HH is in the hallway. You literally go down to around 50% WiFi signal if you're sat in the lounge next to the hall!

Is it worth going for the HH6? Is the WiFi range a massive improvement? Or are there tips on improving the wifi range on the HH5?

Thanks
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Upgrading to a Smart Hub

For me the HH6 Wifi is slightly better than HH5, but not not great. If BT pay you then try it. If it costs you, directly or a new contract.... keep your money in your pocket.

This hub is not reliable and, with a search of the forum, you'll find many problems with the WiFi.... and many other aspects of the home hub 6.
0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

For me the HH6 wifi is worse than the HH5. Wait for BT to fix the problems first.
0 Ratings
jaydog69
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

What problems are you having in terms of wifi though?

It's just getting annoying. The hub is in the hall I can see it right now, in yet wifi signal isn't great in the lounge.

0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Just read these forums and you'll see the problems many people are experiencing. I can't get any reliable wifi connections and the range is worse than HH5.

If BT are giving you a free HH6 then you can try it. Just don't buy one. Whatever you do, do not return your HH5.

The HH6 is still a beta test product.
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

I'm fortunate in that I don't have too many problems. Hundreds of yards between my neighbours and me helps. But WiFi is not greatly improved from a HH5.

If you don't believe the ads and accept it's an immature product.... you won't be disappointed. If you're after a fully functional router with great WiFi.... it's likely you will be disappointed.

My advice would be wait til the problems are resolved, or put the £ towards something else.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

You might like to consider purchasing a different VDSL router with two or more external wireless aerials instead. External aerials have a better ERP (Effective Raidiated Power), which makes better use of the small wireless power level which is allowed in the UK.

0 Ratings
Pumps100
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

My advice is to leave well alone. It is total rubbish and consumers are now being used to do painful beta testing on it. 

I endured 3 weeks of misery before reverting back to HH5. Just have a look round this forum and just don't do it.

I would expect this issue to be picked up by the mainstream media soon.

Ian

0 Ratings