cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Upload Limit on BT Business SH2 or a fault?

Good Morning,

I'm not sure if you will be able to help or not, I tried raising a support ticket but was effectively told to sod off haha.

I've got a normal Smart Hub 2 and BT Full Fibre 900, when I have this connected and running the speeds are brilliant without issue. I have an internal switch which I use to manage my network VLANs so I require a BT Business Smart Hub 2 for anything on a different VLAN so I can route back to it, otherwise the device thinks there's no internet. 

The hub I bought from eBay does everything that I expect of it with the exception that my upload speed plummets from 108mbps aprx to 20mbps max. I've tried defaulting the business hub and configuring it again and for a few minutes it works at 108, then drops to 50, then eventually back down to 20 again. 

Do you know if there is anything I can do to resolve this or should I just bin the thing? I've restored the SH2 that came with the line for the moment.

Thanks for your time
Dave.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Upload Limit on BT Business SH2 or a fault?

@mooflar 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Are you a BT Business User?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Hi Keith,

I am not. I am a standard home user but I work in an Enterprise environment so I have a home lab and such hence the need for internal routing.

Apologies if this is the wrong place.

Kind Regards

Dave

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Might be worth researching the current firmware version for the Business SH2 & see if yours has it. If not it may be worth leaving it connected for a few days if you can in the hope it will update. No idea if that's likely though connected to a residential service.

But presumably you don't have DV as I don't believe that works with the Business SH2, so better to buy a proper router more suited to your needs

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

@mooflar

Bear in mind that a residential account is intended for entertainment and basic home usage, and any commercial usage is not allowed, so you are not likely to get any support from BT.

What you refer to as Enterprise environment seems more appropriate to a BT Business account which uses the BT Business Smart Hub  as the primary router.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Hi Keith,

Thanks, I think I understand that. I am not operating any commercial services from home though I do work from home.

All I use my home internet for is Gaming, TV and Working from Home. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

If you wanted some features that only BT Business offer, then it might be worth migrating over to BT Business. They offer a static IP address if that helps in any way with routing into your network.

The also offer a better SLA in the event of a fault. I do not think BT TV is available, but I am not sure.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

I had a similar issue on my Fibre 900, my upload/download was limited to 100Mb/s.

It turned out it was an intermediate Network Switch capping the normal 1Gb/s speed down to 100Mb/s because the network cable I was using was a nasty old spare. Replace it with a shiny new Cat-6 cable and hey-presto, full 900Mb/s access on download.

Good luck with getting things fixed.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@mooflar 

All the BT Smart hubs have a default upload restriction of 20Mbs. This was implemented to avoid issue with FTTC, where a faster upload was causing the connection to drop.

Once residential users move to FTTP, a parameter change is uploaded to the Smart Hub which removes this restriction. It can take a couple of days for that to be sent.

Unfortunately, I do not think the business hub would be updated, as its serial number would not be recognised on your residential service.

Message 10 of 10

Thanks that makes sense! Shame it won't be updated. I guess I'll have to buy my own hardware to replace it with - All I need is routes back to my internal VLANs for things like my IOT network, otherwise they just sit there refusing to operate properly. 

I guess I'll stick with the single VLAN and the associated noise that generates.

0 Ratings