cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kobra
Message 1 of 9

Urgent help...

Hello Community!

This is a guy desperately seeking for help!

So let me first start to say that I have a website for my business, hosted in a server (in US I think) and on that server I also have my accounting software running where I do invoicing, quotes etc.

Sometimes I am able to access my website and sometimes it just won't access the site at all (a standard browser error shows "It could not connect to the website". I firstly thought that this could be something to do with the server so I contacted the tech support and all seems to be fine from their end, as a matter of fact at the same time that I could not access the website at home using BT broadband, I tested on my phone using my phone's data and it works! So it is definitely something to do with either BT blocking my domain or the router!

I called BT and they said that from their end all seems to be fine and they are able to access the website so... I can only think that it could be something to do with the router.

Bottom of the line the website doesn't work on my computer using BT's broadband but it will work outside my house (I.e my phone using my phone's data or connected to a different broadband).

This has been going on for quite some time now, I manage to get into the website by turning on and off my VPN, but this is extremely annoying and I just want it to work!

Any help will be appreciated!

Thank you in advance.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Urgent help...

Are you a business customer? This is a residential support forum.
0 Ratings
kobra
Message 3 of 9

Hello pippincp,

No I'm not a business customer. I simply work from home.

Regards,
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

@kobra wrote:
Hello pippincp,

No I'm not a business customer. I simply work from home.

Regards,

Please read this thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Is-working-from-home-on-a-residential-line-a-break-of-T-a...

This applies if you are running your business on a residential account., as that would be against the T&Cs.

If you have BT Business broadband, then there is a separate forum for those customers.

0 Ratings
kobra
Message 5 of 9

Seriously?! You lot are willing to whinge rather than help?

Let me just make MORE clear because clearly everyone is fixating on the fact that I have "business" than helping...

Yes I do have a business, no I don't use my home broadband to run my business, I have my office for that but sometimes as a matter of urgency I need to jump into my pc at home, everyone that run a business and care for their business does that.

Now that this is out of the way, all I want to know is that if I can do anything to access a particular website, please. If you don't know the answer and unwilling to help I would appreciate you keep your unrelated comments to yourself. Thank you.
0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 6 of 9

@kobra

Quick question, does the webpage have a front page that anyone could access like bt.com does? 

Can you access that, or does it give the same error? 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
kobra
Message 7 of 9

Hello,

Thank you for jumping in CJT80.

If you mean a login page, Yes it does. However, when I'm unable to access my website, it's the basically the server in general. I can't connect to FTP or any other links within my domain.

Regards,
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

In your original post you state that "I manage to get into the website by turning on and off my VPN" . Presumably that is while you are using your BT connection and BT router which if that is the case that would seem to rule out BT blocking your domain.

It may be a conflict somewhere with your VPN and possibly the router. You haven't said which router you are using.

If you can borrow a router to use it could rule in or out the router.

If you are prepared to spend some money, I would advise getting a third party router instead of using any BT routers.

If you are on a Fibre package you can get a third party VDSL Modem/router for about £30.

BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 9 of 9

Next step in diagnostics would be to do a traceroute when working and again when it’s next unreachable.
BT TV expertSteveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings