Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Urgent issue with connecting new router to extenders

Hi

I've just bought an AC1600 to replace my flaky smart hub. I've got that working ok, but there are a few of my peripherals that I can't for the life of me fathom how to set up. Wifi is strong and now reaches parts of the house it never did before and my 5GHZ reaches my Mac in the study, where it didn't before either.

First thing - I have CCTV set up and it's connected to the router via home plugs (TP Link also - AV200) - these connected fine to the various smart hubs /BT hubs I have had but I can't figure out how to get them connected to the new AC1600. I've plugged it into it and all the correct lights are on, but nothing - no connection of my cctv. Can anyone help me please?

Can I change channels on this AC1600 - and if so, how? I can't see that option anywhere on set up?

Also, is there any way of making the connections to 5 or 2.4ghz by choice, by splitting them like we can with the BT Hub ?  I don't like it automatically going from one to the other. I have labelled them ok, and set up passwords (the same one) but there seems to be a lag where it wants me to go to 5 when I'm closer to the hub and takes time to switch over.  Am I missing something? How does this system work- is it the same as the BT hubs? 

Is there anything else I should look out for on this piece of kit please - tips ?

Thanks in advance. I'm keen to get the cctv set up quickly as there have been lots of break ins this week...

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Urgent issue with connecting new router to extenders

If Keith Beddoe is around, maybe you can help me please? I've checked your very useful pages on setting up other TP link and they've proved helpful so far, but I can't find info oon the above. If it wasn't for these pages giving me the BT user name (bthomehub@broadband.com) and login (BT) I'd still be stuck at the start line as opposed to nearing the finish line as I am. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

You may find that you will need to set up your CCTV as though it was a first time install. All the settings etc will be in relation to your previous router and not the new one.

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

@gg30340wrote:

You may find that you will need to set up your CCTV as though it was a first time install. All the settings etc will be in relation to your previous router and not the new one.

Thanks! I think you're right. I'm probably just being a bit of a Noddy and getting myself confused with all the things I have to attach to the new hub. Old dogs and all that! 

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Me again...spent the evening trying to connect the peripherals. 

Cctv....still can't connect...set up as new, but it doesn't connect remotely. The home plugs are the only way it connects and they are working ok, just no remote cctv viewing possible. Not sure why a TP link router is any different   from setting up various versions of the BT hubs over the years with new passwords and logins...? I really can't get to grips with this. 

and a simple standalone camera - a D link 932l which should be wps connect, just won't. Well, it will connect locally, but not remotely. No notifications coming through on email either. Again, this easily coped with BT home hub changes from 3.0, to 5,to 6 , all with different passwords. 

Am I missing some fundamental understanding of how these things work? I'm ok with tech, but not massively savvy. 

Please help someone, or the TP link is going back tomorrow.  Hub 6 is great, but it drop wifi signal, loses connection completely and is congested in the evenings  so often that I thought I should try a different router. Open reach have already been out to me a fortnight ago, but although better, it's still not as it was even a year ago (and that wasn't perfect). 

Contract up for renewal next month...not sure if I'll stay if I can't get these issues resolved somehow 🙁

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

I'm replying to my own questions here because what I've discovered may help others.

Overnight, and I obviously didnt do anything in my sleep, both the CCTV AND the D Link standalone camera came online. They were still off when I went to bed but sometime overnight they started working perfectly, connected to the TP Link. I have no idea how this happened; all I can think is that there must sometimes be a delay in the different pieces of kit recognising the new routers. So the message to others is to set them up with wps as you think they should be set up, and wait...up to a few hours for them to come online properly. Really weird.

I'm still grappling with the settings and wondering if my line has other issues, but the router is up and running ok now. 

0 Ratings