cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
feegee
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Usage monitor lag

Anyone know why the monitor isn't working correctly ? i check my usage daily and it was fine on the 20th (showing that it had been updated on the 20th) but the last 2 days of checking have actually gone back the way, i.e.- the 21st says it was updated on the 19th and today the 22nd says updated on the 20th, it is almost impossible to keep an eye on this bleeping thing when it doesn't display properly, maybe BT/ moderator aren't aware of it but perhaps it should be passed on to whoever deals with the usage monitor.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Usage monitor lag

I started off my time on BT Infinity with the usage-metered service as well, and rapidly came to the conclusion that the metering was barely worthy of the name, implemented in a way that would have been lucky to earn a score of 25% if it were designed by any engineering student of mine.

I suspect it was designed by the same person that designed the BT-Wifi on/off control, another piece of barely usable and completely non-interactive nonsense that isn't focused on being helpful to users at all.

As an engineer, I really hate bad technical design, and both of those are terrible examples of it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

@feegee wrote:

Anyone know why the monitor isn't working correctly ?

Which is probably why that all new packages are unlimited, so if you renew your contract, you should be automatically be put on an unlimited one.

The ongoing cost of BT paying to have usage monitored, does not make financial sense any more, as there is plenty of bandwidth now available, at a fixed cost.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Hi @feegee,

I'm sorry to hear that your Broadband usage hasn't updated correctly. The usage shown on the monitor is normally updated by 2pm each day and it shows everything you've used up to 23:59 the previous day.

Occasionally there can be a delay in the usage data being add online but this normally corrects itself with in 24 - 48 hours.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
feegee
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for the replies.

@Keith_Beddoe, i am on BT Basics so i am not actualluy "contracted" as such so i couldn't do that.

@PaddyB wrote:

Hi @feegee,

I'm sorry to hear that your Broadband usage hasn't updated correctly. The usage shown on the monitor is normally updated by 2pm each day and it shows everything you've used up to 23:59 the previous day.

Occasionally there can be a delay in the usage data being add online but this normally corrects itself with in 24 - 48 hours.

Thanks

PaddyB

Yeah i understand that @PaddyB but the actual dates on the monitor have jumped back the way, i suppose it's a glitch but it's not ideal for people like me who are try to keep an eye on it. 

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 6 of 10

@PaddyB:  If all new packages are unlimited as @Keith_Beddoe says, and it just throws good money after bad to maintain the metering and fix its bugs, then it would make sense to encourage Product Team to remove the usage metered plan altogether as soon as possible,  Perhaps you could help there!

Although I am no longer on the metered plan myself, I'm sure all the relevant customers would greatly appreciate it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

@MorgaineD Nothing I can do about it, I am just a customer and have always been on unlimited.

As I have said before, having different data packages made sense when ISPs paid for volume of data used, but as far as I am aware, they now simply pay for a "pipe" with a certain amount of bandwidth, how they use that for their customers`, is up to them.

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 8 of 10

@Keith_Beddoe writes:

> "Nothing I can do about it, I am just a customer"

I know, you're in the same boat as the rest of us, powerless because of the limits built into this forum.

But that's why I didn't propose that you talk to the relevant BT team, but @PaddyB since he has joined us in the discussion.  As a member of BT staff, he clearly has the power to seek to improve BT's systems and procedures to be more aligned with customers' needs.  Your comment indicated that metering makes little sense for BT these days, so everyone would be a winner if this were to happen.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

It would be nice just to get a definitive statement one way or the other. I have to say it makes little sense to keep useage caps for existing customers but not for new. When the Infinity1 cap was raised from 40M to 55M it was universal, would have thought this would be too.

0 Ratings
feegee
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

@licquorice wrote:

It would be nice just to get a definitive statement one way or the other. I have to say it makes little sense to keep useage caps for existing customers but not for new. When the Infinity1 cap was raised from 40M to 55M it was universal, would have thought this would be too.

Yes, i agree. I did read on here last week that this was apparently happening but BT have never actually came out and said it to anyone really (unless the link i followed, got it wrong) Perhaps a mod could give definitive clarification on this. Incidentally i have never gone over my allowance  although i have been accused of it (and then later received an apology for the mistake) but it causes an enormous amount of stress when you know you can't prove it and then wondering where you will find the money to pay for something you didn't actually use as BT are not quick to issue refunds and as i pay quarterly it is a 3 month wait to get the money credited to your next bill. Most of my posts seem to be about this darned usage monitor, lol.

@MorgaineD, i agree with a lot you are saying, it is a very primitive and badly designed feature, i am sure it wouldn't haven't taken much to design something that was a bit informative and actually useful to the customer and i second your suggestion to @PaddyB.

0 Ratings