cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jojo73
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Use a Draytek as a wifi extender for BT HH4?

Go to solution

Hi

I live in an old cottage and the wireless range is awful from room to room due to our thick walls. I have been given an old Draytek Vigor 2800VG and was hoping to set this up as a wifi extender for our BT HH4. I have some CAT6 cable running from the HH4 (which is downstairs in our front room) to the Draytek (which is upstairs). Following some instructions I found on the internet, I have (hopefully) set up the Draytek successfully in Bridge Mode and have then plugged the CAT6 cable from LAN1 port on the Draytek into the WAN port on the HH4 but have now lost all connectivity to the Draytek and the warning light is now flashing on it.

Are there any settings on the HH I need to change for this to work? Or maybe is the cable supposed to be plugged into different ports on either/both devices?

Any help would be gratefully received!

Many thanks

Synology DiskStation DS413J with 3 x Seagate Red 4TB NAS HDDs
Streaming to iPhone 5S, iPhone 5c, Sky NowTV Roku box, Sony Blu-ray Player and Sonos music system via BT HomeHub4.0
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Use a Draytek as a wifi extender for BT HH4?

Go to solution

You would have to connect the LAN port of the Draytek, to a LAN port on the home hub.

You would have to sort out the settings on the Draytek, but these links may give you a clue.

Link BT two home Hub 3s together and extend your wireless to another location.

Using an old BT Voyager modem as an additional wireless access point.

Use a spare BT Home Hub as a wired wireless access point  (HH1, 1.5, 2.0 and HH3 version a only)

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I used a Draytek2820N for much the same purpose but I question why you need it in bridge mode, I feel AP mode would be better, and I'm pretty sure I plugged the cable from a LAN port on my modem into a LAN port on the Draytek. However, I'm not an expert in these matters and I'm certain that someone will be able to give you a definitive answer.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Keith, you got in whilst I was "composing".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@wedding wrote:

Keith, you got in whilst I was "composing".

I would imagine the the settings on your Draytek would be what is needed, as they are probably very similar.

0 Ratings
jojo73
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Hi guys

Excellent, thanks guys.

Yes Keith, I agree that your setup 'Wedding does seem to be what I'm trying to achieve. I only seemed to be able to find old information about how to achieve what I wanted and bridging mode seemed to be the closest which is why I went for that.

So, to set up the Draytek as an access point do I just turn off internet access on it? I've swapped the cable over to a LAN port and can now access it again 😄 and have switched bridging mode back off again. Am going back to my old user manual to see if I can see how to set it up as an AP but in the meantime any help would be appreciated!

Thanks again

Synology DiskStation DS413J with 3 x Seagate Red 4TB NAS HDDs
Streaming to iPhone 5S, iPhone 5c, Sky NowTV Roku box, Sony Blu-ray Player and Sonos music system via BT HomeHub4.0
0 Ratings