cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Use of Smart Plugs with BT Broadband and Iphone

I have BT Smart Hub2 and would like to install a couple of Smart Plugs, simply to be able to turn on a heater and a light by phone when I am away from home. I use Iphone 8 with the latest IOS. Scanning through the adverts for various Smart Plugs - the sort that go between the mains socket and the appliance - I see that there are various cautions, like "2.4ghz only" and "Does not work with HomeKit". These are new terms to me, and I need some advice as to what to look out for when choosing compatible, and reliable Smart Plugs, please, and also any advice I might need in setting them up.
Many thanks.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Use of Smart Plugs with BT Broadband and Iphone

I use Tplink smart plugs, works well with BT smart hub. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 3 of 4

@Snark I use the TPlink ones as well but not with a Smart Hub, an Archer VR 400. Shouldn't make any difference. If you go for TPlink smart plugs there are basically two types. Kasa and Tapo. Tapo work with Bluetooth so you need to be in close range to operate them. Kasa works with Wifi so you could switch them on from Australia. HomeKit is an Apple product for doing something similar but is not necessary if you use the Kasa app with Kasa plugs, which is what I do.

Message 4 of 4

Thanks for that Dode.  On the strength of your suggestion I've ordered a TP Link KP105.  I'll post the outcome when I have given it a try.

0 Ratings