cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cymruambyth
Message 1 of 16

Useless wifi.

Hi. Just signed up today as I`m at the end of my tether with BT.

I have an issue with wifi speeds. Through the ethernet to my laptop the speeds (infinity 2) are usually pretty good...60 meg or there abouts. Wireless is a different story. Yes I`m aware baby monitors, phones etc. can affect it, but my router has always been in the same place, nothing has changed.

To the problem. I have to reset / reboot my router around 4 to 8 times a day as the wireless speed keeps dropping from 60 meg to sometimes, single figures. I reset....60......hour or 2 later 4 or what ever (HHB5)!

I`ve turned off smart and I`ve tried using the 5ghz settings but to be honest it doesn`t really make a difference.

To the call centre...omg, just poinless, may as well phone my fridge. The robot said she`ll check my line....what? It`s a wireless issue! No issues or problems I`ll send an engineer out. So I thought great!

A bit later I get a call saying the engineer has been cancelled as they`ve found a problem in the cabinet. We`ll text and email you in 72 hours so you can reboot your router and everything will be tickety boo. No text, no email and the fault is still there.

Tried ringing the robots back and just ended up putting the phone down as they don`t even understand basics and I couldn`t make head nor tail of what he was saying....hence my rant here.

BT are the telecommunication pioneers and have been around a long long time but.......I`m just no longer impressed with any part of their service.....and don`t get me started on the useless EE mobile "service".

The HHB5 isn`t very old so surely that can`t be the issue.....can it????

Thanks.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Ozzig
Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: Useless wifi.

Who's connected wirelessly at what speeds ?

The router has to bring the speed down to that of the slowest device, otherwise the slowest device would not be able to see when to transmit. So for example, if you connect two devices at 300Mbps then kept moving one away from the router, as the speed was renegotiated slower and slower both devices will have to use the slower speed.

I'm assuming if you are providing FON a neighbour could be connecting at a slower speed dragging your speed down with it.

0 Ratings
Cymruambyth
Message 3 of 16

The only wireless connections are my chromebook and phone and they stay in the living room. Don`t know what FON is sorry.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

@Ozzig

BT Wi-Fi (FON ) has no effect on your speed as the the main home Wi-Fi always has priority over the FON service

0 Ratings
Ozzig
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

On my HH4 FON and my SSID are both on the same channel, as such I assume looked after by the same radio.

If they are both sharing that radio the beacons etc will need to support the lowest connected devices speed.

I'm with you that a native user will always have priority over a FON user, but I didn't think that was managed by beacons etc.

0 Ratings
Ozzig
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Hi Cymruambyth, 

Do you see any available SSIDs with "FON" in the name with approximately the same signal quality as your main home SSID ?

Regards,

Roy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Ozzig

I think you have really over simplified things about the slowest device slowing wireless connections down.

Wireless networking is affected by slower devices connecting to the network, but possibly not in the way you think.

If two devices are using the same wireless network, they both individually negotiate the best speed they can connect at. For example a laptop may connect at 260Mb/sec and a PC may only be connecting at 54Mb/sec. When the wireless router talks to the laptop, it does it at about 240Mb/sec. When the router talks to the PC, it does it at about 54Mb/sec. As long as both devices don't try to talk at exactly the same time there is usually no problem.

You do get a bit of a problem when your have a large amount of data to send. For instance your PC wants to download a file that's 500MB in size. At 54Mb/sec it takes 161 seconds or thereabouts to move that data. However your laptop can do it in about 32 seconds. So it takes 5x longer for your PC to move the data. While it's moving the data it is hogging the channel for a long time as only one device at a time can use a wireless channel.

So all the other devices are not slowed to the same speed as the slowest device but while the slow device is in use everyone else will feel it as the data channel is unavailable for them to use freely and appear slower.

0 Ratings
Ozzig
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

But if an a device connects to an a/g network don't the g devices have to crank down to an a negotiated speed ?

We usually drop the lower data rates to reduce cell size and improve throughput as all the devices are within faster speeds e.g dropping 1,2,5.5,6,9 &11.

So devices moving away from the cell don't stay connected at 1.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

@gg30340
g wireless speed is 54 Mbps this is 6.75 MB/s if you have a b device you are looking at 1.375 MB/s
If one of our clients is connected on g or b mode and it is streaming this will kill your other devices unless you have multiple antennas and airtime sharing
The 5 Ghz network becomes less effective as soon as you go through a few walls and effective speed can drop easily below 40 Mbps in fact with the BT equipment much less than that
Specifically the 144 Mbps of the 2.4 GHz channel on the BT home hub is very low as it takes less than 3 g devices to saturate it as on real life test the speed does get even to 100 Mbps on a single device.
It is not possible to speculate about wireless performance without testing on site as there are plenty of factors at play so I can't see how BT or anyone remote can help. Except the router being below average on the 2.4 Ghz channel there is not much to be said without further on site assessment
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

I am by no means an expert or even have good knowledge about this but my understanding is so long as only one device is communicating with the router at exactly the same time things should be fine. The problem arises with "simultaneous" communication situations.

I believe that the routers software copes with it to ensure that both devices can communicate in a stable manner without data loss, etc. There can be a drop in speed but that tends to be only when one device is making constant requests for data, such as streaming or downloading large amounts of data.

Obviously if the device is moving away from the router or starts of further away from the router that will affect the speed that the data is transmitted at.

0 Ratings