cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1 of 19

Usenet access closure

I see BT are now closing yet another useful value added service, Usenet access.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51205/?s_cid=con_FURL_giganews

With the usual lack of information, there is no mention of the BT hierarchy of groups being closed, but as they were not accessible via the public news servers I can only assume they will be. Probably down to my age, but to my mind Usenet is a much better medium for discussion than these web based fora, but as there is very little activity on the BT groups now, I suppose it was inevitable that usenet access would close.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 19

Re: Usenet access closure

Just like the old web stape we used to have, BT seem to have decided not to advertise - or even support - the service for years.  To me it's just another reason not to stay with BT.  Having to sign up to Giganews for a subscription, even at a discounted rate, is not another cost I want to pay every month.

0 Ratings
Carwyn
Message 3 of 19

BT charge for a premium service which includes lots of extras in the price. However the extras are all being dropped while the price stays the same. Am now struggling to find a reason to stay with BT.

An for the extras you now have the standard stuff which is offered for free elseware such as the following;

Online storage - Google, Dropbox and other avalible.

Antivirus and family safety - av is free from many suppliers and if you have windows 8 the child accounts are really good to setup and use.

BT Sport - OK if you like football else pointless.

Usenet - RIP. Also if you sign up as a standard user with giganews you can have 50% off for the first 3 months as opposed to the 2 months discount using the BT link.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 19

That should have read "web space" in my last post!

Microsoft are offering 15GB of cloud storage for free.  That's 3 times as much as BT are offering me as a paying suctomer.

I'm not signed up for BT WiFi - never needed it, and on the odd occasions I'm out and about with my Android tablet, I've yet to see a hotspot anyway.

I don't have a smartphone to use SmartTalk.  I suppose it might work on a tablet, but would be really clumsy.

I signed up for BT Sport, never watched a single programme, and cancelled it 6 months later - even though it's free.  I didn't want BT to think I was getting any value from having it.

Officially, I shouldn't be getting NetProtect Plus any more - it's not included in a lot of plans any more.  But they have forgotten to disable it, so I still use it on my desktop PC.  Un-installed it on my little netbook, as it couldn't handle the bloated software.

Over the years, every add-on that I have used has been cancelled, and instead I now have a load of gimmicky stuff I don't want.

0 Ratings
BoaterDave
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Usenet access is one reason I have been loyal to BT - for a VERY long time!

I suspect BT may have shot itself in the foot by withdrawing this service.

I'll most certainly be looking carefully at the whole broadmand market at renewal time!

Libby Barr, Managing Director, Customer Care even made it appear as if she is doing her customers a favour!

What a cheek! 

Get better features at a special discount

If you sign up for a subscription with them, you won't just get to keep the service you know and love, you'll also get some extra features - like 24/7 support and better security.

And that's not all. They'll give you 10% off their standard monthly price, and on top of that:
50% off the Diamond plan for the first two months, or
50% off any other Giganews plan for the first month.
Don't miss out – offer ends 31 March 2015
To find out more about Giganews subscriptions, the extra features and how to claim your special discount, go to bt.com/giganews. (You can only access this link using your BT Broadband.)

Thanks for choosing BT.

Libby Barr
Managing Director, Customer Care

0 Ratings
grabathar
Message 6 of 19

Typical of BT to remove services, offer no reduction in fees and then pretend it is to the customer's advantage.

I have signed up with the free usenet service offered here

https://www.xsusenet.com/

It seems to provide that occassional access I want.  I never used usenet much, certainly not enough to warrant paying several pounds a month extra.  The free service from XSusenet is slow, but as a casual user that's OK.

Sorry BT, you've just dropped one of the reasons I use you as a provider.  When contract renewal comes around I'll be looking around.

0 Ratings
DavidC
Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Now that free web hosting, ip phone line and usenet have been withdrawn without reductions in rates I also am looking very carefully at other ISPs. As a customer on BT internet virtually since day 1 I am very sad to have to jump ship but other deals look so much better and the service that BT have provided me with on the occasions that I have had problems has been pretty poor.

As an ex-BT employee who wrote the original web pages for BT business operations and worked as a manager on the wholesale broadband launch all those years ago it makes me very unhappy to see the way the service has deteriorated over the years.

This may well be the last straw.

Bonjour!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 19

I got a snail mail post today.  At the top it says "Your Usenet service is changing" in big letters.

Not "being cancelled", "terminated", "discontinued" or anything honest like that - they are "changing" it.

0 Ratings
BoaterDave
Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Very few users appear to care sufficiently to post their views here!

I believe it's known as apathy.  Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
DavidC
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Just another nail in the coffin. It's pretty much what I've come to expect these days.
How the mighty have fallen (or is that a bit over-dramatic?)
0 Ratings