cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Username90
Beginner
Message 1 of 13
Hi Support - assuming this is BT Support...I did phone this question to your so-called Helpdesk in india & they assure me it's a Microsoft problem, but how do I obtain Usenet BT Newsgroups please, using Windows Mail as per: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9828/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDc2NjE2NDgyL3... ...as I get the following message: "Unable to connect to the server Account news.btinternet.com Server news.btinternet.com Protocol NNTP Port: 563 Secure(SSL): 1 Code: 800ccc0e" Many thanks in advance.
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Usenet

Go to solution

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.
Everyone posting here, are just BT customers like myself

As far as I am aware, that news server was closed some time ago.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
I believe the BT Usenet newsgroups came to an end in 2014 as the partnership with Giganews ended.

At the time they were pointing users to the Giganews site instead.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Indeed, BT usenet groups and BT's news server finished in 2014. Eternal September is free but doesn't have binary groups.

0 Ratings
Username90
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution
Thanks for replying & info. Regards
0 Ratings
Username90
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution
Hi Thank-you for info. I left BT & the UK in October 2014. I cannot believe there is no more Usenet, as was provided by BT. Instead then, there's this dreadful web based interface, taken me ages to find my original post...I really can't be doing with this. Was used to the simplicity of finding everything through Outlook Express, latterly, Windows Mail. Regards
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Yep, got to agree, forums are not a patch on Usenet. But to the modern generation the Internet is the World Wide Web. Everything is done via a web browser, most have not heard of mail clients let alone newreaders.

0 Ratings
Username90
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution
Hi Unbelievable news that BT no longer provide this service...do we know why? I left the UK late 2014 so I am well out of date with this type of info. Thank-you for pointing me in the direction of Eternal September. Regards
0 Ratings
Highlighted
with
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

May I check current advice and practice among Usenet consumers on a BT contract?

I understand from this thread that BT no longer maintain a Usenet server.

I have no interest in binaries or anything but text groups, but I would quite like a reasonable retention period and coverage.

The whole point of ISPs maintaining a news server was to keep the bandwidth local and provide free access. I presume BT felt it had no obligation because free access was now trivial elsewhere. I would not be pleased to have to pay.

Where do matters stand?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Not sure of the point of your question. As you have accurately stated, BT no longer provide a Usenet server and haven't done for a number of years. For text only groups, Eternal September provide a free service.

0 Ratings