Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
james92
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Using BT Home Hub on different ISP

Hi All,

I recently signed up to Sky Broadband. Unfortunately the router provided is pretty poor and the wifi doesnt even cover our (relatively small) flat. I've got an old Home Hub 3 which I'm trying to connect to the Sky router via ethernet and using as a wireless access point.

I've changed the IP range and turned off the wifi on the sky router, turned off DHCP server and changed the IP on the homehub (http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/8046/how-to-use-the-bt-home-hub-5-with-another-isp) but I'm having no luck. I'm not sure whether the ethernet cable is supposed to go into one of the regular ethernet ports on the homehub or the red infinity port - i've tried both, the broadband light is off in the first case light and flashes purple in the second, either way I don't get any internet connection.

Any advice regarding where I'm going wrong or whether it's just not possible with v.3 would be greatly appreciated

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Using BT Home Hub on different ISP

You would be best to ask on the Sky forum

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

0 Ratings
james92
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks. I was in the process of duplicating it there, although it struck me as more of an issue with my configuration with the hub. Then again, I'm hardly clued up on this stuff.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

There are probaly issues relating to the way the Sky stuff is configured. The IP subnet is different, and you would not be able to change the default gateway on the HH3. You would be better off using a separate wireless access point, as the HH3 is not that good.

BT do some broadband extenders that may do the job.

http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/bt-connected-home/wi-fi-solutions/

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

I have tried to access the setup part of various sky routers and have always found them locked down. unlike bt routers the login and password is customer specific, it was also not possible to view these within any setup menu.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings