cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
js246
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Using Home Hub 4 with slave hub (Hub 3)?

Hi,

I recently upgraded to Infinity and the engineer kept my 'old' Hub3 which was downstairs acting as a 'slave'.  The new Hub4 is upstairs.  He didn't take much time to explain the new set up (it worked fine previously using two Hub 3s) - but I'm now having problems as all devices seem to spend time searching for a signal between the two hubs - and some devices ask for a different password to access the 'slave' (even more confusingly this is the password from the back of the 'old' hub 3 upstairs which I no longer even have!).  I think the previous engineer set it up so that the slave hub used the details from the original access point hub 3 upstairs - and now that that has been replaced with a new Hub4/Openreach Infinity modem, it's shifting between the two somehow.  Help!  I'm stumped - I've got limited technical knowledge and dont know how to figure this one out!!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
TimSmedley
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Using Home Hub 4 with slave hub (Hub 3)?

Hi

I am not a techie a all ut I have managed to link my new 4 to an old 3 thus extending the wireless range using the advice on this link:

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wireless/hh3link.html

Good luck

Tim

0 Ratings
js246
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thanks Tim! Did you use the Hub 4 as your primary and the 3 as the slave? Are the instructions any different given that this article talks about two Hub 3s????
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

You seem to have done exactly what I'm thinking of - I looked at the link and the Jarvister solution - but as it was based on HHv1 and V2 I didn't proceed to link my new HH4 with my previous HH3  - did you follow the instructions without amendment and it worked?

0 Ratings
Paul3333
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Pardon me for barging in but I was interested in the BB.

I have my TV downstairs connected to my router (HUB4) using ethernet cable and PLA's.

Is there a way of connecting my TV to my HUB4 via wifi by connecting it to my old Voyager router, therby dispensing with the PLA's which get a bit warm and need turning on and off when required?

I know I could put a wireless dongle in the TV but the Voyager is going spare.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

No, the Voyager modems cannot be configured as a wireless client. Also the Voyager modems get very hot as well.

You are better using the PLAs, as I think you will find wireless a bit unreliable.

0 Ratings
Paul3333
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Thanks Keith, I'll stick with the PLAs. Yes the Voyager did get hot so we kept turning it on and off. Handy in our study in the winter though!!
0 Ratings