cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

Using Sky Q hub for BT fibre 2

Hello all, I hope you can help me. 

I have just upgraded to BT fibre 2 but there was an issue and the HomeHub2 hasn't been dispatched yet. It should arrive Tuesday but I need Internet access ASAP as WFH. I have a Sky Q hub which I believe supports VDSL, but it isn't connecting to the Internet. 

Is there some way I can get this to work with my Internet subscription until the SH2 arrives? 

Thanks in advance! 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Using Sky Q hub for BT fibre 2

@Fan7as7icMrFox wrote:

Hello all, I hope you can help me. 

I have just upgraded to BT fibre 2 but there was an issue and the HomeHub2 hasn't been dispatched yet. It should arrive Tuesday but I need Internet access ASAP as WFH. I have a Sky Q hub which I believe supports VDSL, but it isn't connecting to the Internet. 

Is there some way I can get this to work with my Internet subscription until the SH2 arrives? 

Thanks in advance! 

No, its not possible to use the Sky Q hub.

Provided you are not on an ultrafast connection, then you can get a third party router locally for about £35, which should work, and can also be kept as a spare if needed.

Its worth checking that your line is working, by seeing if you get dial tone on your phone.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 11

OK, so would this device 

• TP-Link TD-W9970 N300 Wi-Fi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

Work for the Fibre 2 connection, which is up to 73mbps download and up to 18mbps upload and just be plug and play? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Yes, you will just need to enter the generic PPPoE username and password of bthomehub@btbroadband.com and BT respectively.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

@Fan7as7icMrFox wrote:

OK, so would this device 

• TP-Link TD-W9970 N300 Wi-Fi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

Work for the Fibre 2 connection, which is up to 73mbps download and up to 18mbps upload and just be plug and play? 

Yes, that is the one. You can usually find it in Argos. 572/8882.

You can always return it, but I would be inclined to keep it as a spare, as the home hubs can fail.

Check your line first, to make sure its working.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 11

9Would it be worth spending the little extra and getting this dual band one and replacing the smart hub 2 all together or is the smart hub 2 a much better router? 

TP-LINK Archer C60

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

That device is just a router, not a VDSL modem/router and as such would not be suitable without a separate modem. If you were looking for a dual band permanent replacement for the hub, have a look at the VR600 or VR900

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

@Fan7as7icMrFox wrote:

9Would it be worth spending the little extra and getting this dual band one and replacing the smart hub 2 all together or is the smart hub 2 a much better router? 

TP-LINK Archer C60

That is only a wireless router, it will not work on VDSL.

If you want a dual band one, then the TP Link AC1200 is one.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 11

This one? TP-Link Archer C50 AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Router

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

No, that is just a router as well. You need to delete the link as it is against forum rules. Google VR400 for the device Keith means

0 Ratings