Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulttt
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Using Smart Hub 2 as an access point, Disabling connection attempts

New here guys, hello to all.

I'm wanting to use my smart hub 2 as an access point to improve coverage around my home.  I've disabled DHCP and all is working as intended.

However the smart hub insists on attempting to connect to the internet by it's own means.  Thus I get the constant flickering of the pink LED, and when it finishes it's connection cycle, the relays inside the router make an audible clicking sound.

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable this behaviour?  I have turned to LED off in settings, but assume this is only to disable the front LED once connected.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Using Smart Hub 2 as an access point, Disabling connection attempts

No, afraid not
paulttt
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

That's disappointing, but oh well.

Thanks for your reply.

0 Ratings
lclark1975
Beginner
Message 4 of 17

Re: Using Smart Hub 2 as an access point

I have my Smart Hub 2 connected as an access point but the hub keeps giving me an error page. Telling me theres no BB and to trouble shoot. Is there a way to stop this?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Re: Using Smart Hub 2 as an access point

No

I assume you have turned off smart setup, it might stop it if you haven't but as there is no input on the DSL port, the hub will always regard there being a problem.

0 Ratings
larister
Beginner
Message 6 of 17

Hi @paulttt - do you have a guide anywhere for how to configure the Smart Hub 2 as an access point? I'd love to do the same, but not sure how to start. Is disabling DHCP all you need to do?

Also, was the pink LED the only issue, or did you see connection issues as well?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

You just need to give the hub being used as an access point an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the main hub, e.g 192.168.1.20 and disable DHCP. Connect the 2 hubs together LAN port to LAN port.

0 Ratings
paulttt
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

Wow, this is a blast to the past. 

I don't have a guide as such I'm afraid. 

All I did was disable DHCP, and changed the router address to something different (default was 192.168.1.254) to avoid conflict with existing hub.

It worked well, but the clicking was rather annoying so I'm no longer using that setup.  

0 Ratings
larister
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Brilliant, thanks @paulttt and @licquorice! Will give it a whirl.

0 Ratings
techdawg
Beginner
Message 10 of 17

I came across your post while trying to troubleshoot the same issue. 

I have the Smart Hub 2 successfully setup as an access point, but it kept making that clicking sound as it tried to reconnect the phone line. 

I found a solution ...  BUT .... this only solves the problem if you never intend to use the modem on the Smart Hub 2. 
If you have plans to use the Smart Hub 2 for it's DSL modem in the future, then DO NOT take this advice. 

This ONLY works if you NEVER PLAN TO USE THE MODEM again. 

All that said, if you want to stop the clicking you can open the modem up and remove the logic board. 
On the board above the phone line port, you'll find a white relay mounted with 8 pins to the board (it's labelled with the part number B4GA0037). This is the part making the clicking sound. You can confirm by plugging in the board and listening to the click (if you squeeze the relay, the click will be more subtle). 
If you never plan to use the modem again, you can remove this relay, and the rest of the router will function properly. You may not get the right colour LED lights, but the router and access point will work, and you can still connect the AP Extender Discs to the system. 

To remove it, you can try to desolder the piece if you have the skills and the tools. 
Or, you can just gently snap the relay from the board. This will likely pull the solder pads off with the part, so again, only do this if you never plan to use the modem ever again. 

Hope this helps some people looking to reuse am otherwise very decent wireless AP.  

Here is an image of the relay: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB19e9_aEY1gK0jSZFCq6AwqXXa9.jpg