Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 17

Re: Using Smart Hub 2 as an access point, Disabling connection attempts

@techdawg 

Lets hope its not one that has been issued by BT after 13th December 2019, as it would belong to BT, and would need to be returned. I cannot imagine they would be very impressed with your "modifications".

0 Ratings
Feltwell
Beginner
Message 12 of 17

Old thread at the beginning I know, but thanks to everyone involved for this one - *finally* solved the problem I had! I bought a Smart Hub 2 and 4 discs to get much improved wi-fi around my house & garage.  All seemed to work fine, easy to set up, discs on wired ethernet connections back to the router to avoid wireless backhaul, so all nice & quick.

But then - the kid's Minecraft LAN game wouldn't work, and neither would their Overwatch online game.  Cue much cursing and internet research, even bought another Smart Hub 2 in case the first was faulty.  I'm not techie (or interested in it) in the slightest, but I blundered my way through port forwarding (didn't work) and in the end it seems like it might be something to do with Smart Hub 2 not supporting NAT Loopback, whatever that is!

Everything worked fine with our previous Smart Hub, the Hub 6.  So - wanting to keep the discs that only work with the Smart Hub 2 - I reinstated the previous Hub 6 Smart Hub, made the new Smart Hub 2 into an access point as per this thread, connected some discs to the LAN ports on each of them, and it all works fine!  

Smart Hub 2 is in a kitchen cupboard so the occasional click of a relay doesn't matter - and it is just an occasional click.  The hub lights cannot be turned off - it says you can turn them off via the software, but that's only turning them off is all is well and the light is blue, if the hub thinks it has a fault they will always come on.  Short of opening the case up and cutting the LED's out I don't think there is a way to disable them.  Luckily, tucked away in a kitchen cupboard they make no odds to me.

0 Ratings
The_judds_35
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 17

@Feltwell 

I have a similar issue, I’ve just received the smart hub 2 with whole home WiFi in order to signal through my house. 

However, I now have connection problems with Skype and MS Teams on my work laptop. Placing the laptop behind the firewall in the dmz resolves the issue but maybe not secure?

I was thinking of using a combination of both routers, frustrating as surely this shouldn’t be required! I tried port forwarding without any luck. 

Does anyone have a fix for this? Other option is I return all the kit to BT and try another provider...

Thanks

0 Ratings
Feltwell
Beginner
Message 14 of 17

Deeply frustrating isn't it?  I suspect that's something to do with your works laptop setup, as I use Teams a lot on mine with no problems (gave up on Skype - video conferencing so much better in Teams).  But of course you're very limited to what you can change on a works laptop...

One thought is "pinholes" - apparently it's like port forwarding but for IPv6 devices - you can set this up via the hub software.  I'm no techie though so I could be sending you on another wild goose chase!

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 17

There is absolutely no need for any port forwarding or putting devices in the DMZ

0 Ratings
The_judds_35
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 17

@licquorice 

Do you have a solution?

everything is fine on the old router, the smart hub 2 is causing problems. Thanks

0 Ratings
Banj0
Beginner
Message 17 of 17

Hi All,

Thanks techdawg

I took apart my BT Smart Hub 2 where I taped over the annoying LED's that flash purple and took the circuit board from the casing to take from the back one of those ports starting with B4GA. I actually used screwdriver to take it away from the circuit board because my Soldering iron did not work for some reason.  My router is now working well and is not making any more annoying flicking and clicking, works well as access point.

Here you are the link: 

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuT7Nb9EgHtsh4BLoxTrXPtXZHZsSw

That one is the port. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuT7Nb9EgHtsh4BMFVOYBgvkvlVGGA

P.S. Dismantling the router is not that difficult, its just like taking apart a shellfish. Turing off the LED's in the menu did not work for me. 

0 Ratings