Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 33

Re: Using TP-Link W9970 router as Access Point to Home Hub 5

Go to solution

Yes, everything at default. Which LAN port are you using on the 9970, try a different one.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 33

Go to solution

Thanks to your very welcome help, I have now solved the connundrum. It turns out that the powerline adapter must be connected by ethernet to the WAN/LAN port of the W9970 and not any of the LAN ports. This is contrary to advice on the internet that the WAN/LAN port must not be used. The only setting needed is to select the wireless router mode (apart from security settings such as SSID password and router login details). Once again, thank you for your help and patience.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 13 of 33

Go to solution

Great to see you got this sorted @bratman91 . Fantastic advice from @licquorice  (kudos to you Smiley Wink)

Cheers

Davaid

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 33

Go to solution

Hi,

I am having the same problem. I have BT FTTP and I’m using a BT Smart Hub 2.  I have connected the TP-Link TD-w9970 to a power line adapter.  Connected wirelessly to it and chosen wireless router mode then went into Network-WAN settings-Add New.  I can’t seem to configure it properly because it won’t connect to the internet. Have checked the VLAN ID box, set the VLAN ID to 101, connection type to PPPoE and entered bthomehub@btbroadband.com as the username, password box blank or bt, connection mode always on, authentication type to auto_auth, enable IPv4 box checked, default gateway: pppoe_0_d, enable IPv6 box checked, addressing type: DHCPv6 and IPv6 default gateway: Current Connection.

Can anyone help me out. I had been using a tp-link range extender which is halfway between my hub and the area with poor reception which I’m getting 3 blue WiFi led lights on but when I’m connected to it in my bedroom the WiFi strength isn’t great and it keeps dropping all the time and reverting back to 4G which is why I wanted to use the tp-link router as a wireless access point.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 33

Go to solution

You don't need any of those settings, it is just acting as a switch. Set the TP link back to default settings and connect as previous posts in the thread and leave everything as default.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 16 of 33

Go to solution

Hi Licquorice,

Thank you for the reply.  Much appreciated.  So just enter the PPPoE Username and Password in WAN settings and thats it? I take it it is PPPoE and not Dynamic?

Thanks,

Nigel

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 33

Go to solution

No, all that is handled by the hub, you are just connecting LAN port to LAN port.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 33

Go to solution

Sorry I’m a bit confused. I have an Ethernet cable connected between the Port 1/LAN port on the Modem and The WAN port on the SmartHub 2. I have 2 Netgear PLP1000 power line adaptors. One connected to a LAN port on the Hub in the living room were the FTTP was installed by Openreach and the other connected to a Now TV box in the back bedroom via Ethernet.  My plan is to connect a third one to the TP-Link TD-w9970 in the kitchen to serve as a wireless access point (creating a separate wireless network).  

Am I right in saying the RJ-45 Connector on the Ethernet Cable from the PLP-1000 plugs into the LAN4/WAN port on the TP-Link Router?? or just one of the other 3 LAN ports.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 33

Go to solution

Normally when connecting an additional router to be used as a WAP, the 2 devices are connected together LAN port to LAN port. It is possible to connect LAN port of the first router to the WAN port of the second router but that complicates things. As port 4 on the 9970 can be either a WAN or LAN port I'm not sure how @bratman91  configured the port.

Just leave everything at default value and connect to port4. I would try connecting the 9970 directly to the hub at first to eliminate any problems with the powerline adaptors.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 33

Go to solution

Once again I have dug out my old 9980 which is very similar to the 9970. I just set the Operation mode to Wireless router mode, made no other settings and connected LAN port1 of my hub to LAN port1 of the 9980 and it works just fine as a WAP.

0 Ratings