Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Using a BT Smart Hub 6 with Windows XP

Go to solution

I still have a Windows XP desktop which I use once in a blue moon to run various things on that wont work on Win 10.

Since it was last used, ages ago, I have had a BT Smart Hub 6. It may even have been so long ago since I used that I didn't even have a home hub at all but just an old router. My internet connection at that time was via BT Voyager 1055 USB plug in wireless adaptor to an old BT router which has long been disposed of.

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to connect to the Smart Hub 6. I can see the Smart Hub 6 in the available connections but entering the wireless key does nothing. All I get is "Please wait while Windows connects to the BTHub6--WR9Cnetwork". Eventually it says it can't find any wireless connections in range then up pops a list of available connections with the BTHub6 at the top.

It's not the end of the world as I probably will never use it for surfing the net, just for running old software. When I fired the XP PC up yesterday it told me, unsurprisingly, that almost everything was out of date. 

Am I asking too much for new technology to work with old?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Using a BT Smart Hub 6 with Windows XP

Go to solution

Make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

Some devices have a problem with the Homehub dual band having the same SSid (name). Windows XP or at least the wireless card on the PC may have a problem with this. You should try splitting them. You should also chack that the wireless card is using the most up to date drivers. It is best to check on the wireless card manufacturer's web site rather than using Windows ones.

See links

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Suggest you get a new wireless adaptor, only about £5-10 from usual sources, or connect by Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the advice gg30340 & Liquorice.

When I get time I will look into what you have suggested. I must say a new wireless adaptor seems the easiest thing to do. Unfortunately the XP PC doesn't have an Ethernet socket.

I have had a quick look at the links provided by gg and no mention is made of the Smart BTHub 6. Should I assume it also refers to to the BTHub6?

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

@George99 wrote:

Unfortunately the XP PC doesn't have an Ethernet socket. 

That's unusual for a desktop. You sure?

Liam_
Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

As XRaySpeX has said, not having an ethernet port is unusual for an XP machine.  I guess the motherboard is rather old.  However you can get a card for around £8, like the TP-LINK TG-3269 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Adapter.  Have a look around there are a few to choose from.  I imagine there is a spare PCI socket on the board.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@George99 wrote:

Thanks for the advice gg30340 & Liquorice.

When I get time I will look into what you have suggested. I must say a new wireless adaptor seems the easiest thing to do. Unfortunately the XP PC doesn't have an Ethernet socket.

I have had a quick look at the links provided by gg and no mention is made of the Smart BTHub 6. Should I assume it also refers to to the BTHub6?

The wireless adaptor would be easiest provided it is compatible with Windows XP.

What make and model is the PC?

Yes the BTHub6 and the Smarthub are one and the same.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the additional comments.

The Desktop is a HP Pavilion t585UK.

It definitely doesn't have an Ethernet socket. The handbook states that "Your PC may not come with an Ethernet connector", I have checked and mine doesn't have one.

The PC is quite old, I can't remember exactly how old it is as I have had it for years. Google says they were launched in 2004 and I have probably had it that long. I have got through two laptops since I bought it and am on my third now.

As I said I only wanted to connect to the internet to update things that were out of date. I would probably never connect for any other purpose. XP isn't supported by Microsoft now and it could be ages before I switch it on again.

I will try various suggestions an if I succeed I will let you know.

Thanks to you all again. 

0 Ratings