cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DazGee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Using a HH5 offline

While I'm waiting for BT to connect my after a home move, I wanted to use my HH5 offline just as a router so that I could use my LAN (something I have done via previous ISPs).
However, HH5 keeps rebooting itself, stays stable for a few minutes then reboots.
Streaming from my media server to my Xbox one is driving me mad because of the interrupti
ons.
Is the HH5 doing this because it keeps trying to resync with BT?
As I said above, I've never had this problem with ISPs router.
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Using a HH5 offline

You could try removing the cable from the phone socket and see if that helps.  Just remember to plug it back in on the activation day.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Nothing to do with being offline, I use an old HH5 as a WAP/router without DSL connectivity. Try a factory reset by pressing the recessed button at the rear with a pin for about 20 seconds and see if that fixes it.

0 Ratings
DazGee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

The cable isn't plugged into the master socket as l don't have a connection to the house yet.
0 Ratings
DazGee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

This just gets better.....
I reset the HH5 and the same problem occurs.
I tried to log into the router but it just sits saying 'connecting'.
Sometimes it logs in after a few minutes and other times it just times out.
I called the helpline number on the tracker and ended up being transferred 3 times until I got through to the 'connections team's.
For the 3rd time I explained that I was using the HH5 offline just as a router for my LAN.
I also explained that I had reset the HH5, removed AV from the desktop and laptop, windows firewall was off and tried othet browsers to log into the HH5.
Because I am still waiting for my connection I was told there is nothing they can do until my connection is live so they can run diagnostics.
I explained that by the time I'm reconnected it will be 5 weeks since I moved and that I'm concerned about further delays waiting for a new HH to be delivered.
I was then informed that the HH would be replaced on the same day (due to the lack of communication with BT I have lost all faith and am not convinced it would be replaced on the day. I got more accurate information via roadworks.org than I did from BT).

If the HH can't remain stable offline as a router I doubt it will suddenly work correctly when my infinity 2 goes live.
Many years ago I worked for Tiscali doing 2nd line support and up until now, I thought they were incompetent, however my frustration is now making me think BT are just as bad.
How difficult is it to understand that if the router part of the HH5 is not working correctly, it's likley to be faulty?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Just treat yourself to a third party VDSL modem/router and save yourself all the grief when you finally get connected.

0 Ratings
DazGee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

I've been toying with that idea and been doing some research. Do you have any recommendations?
I've previously been a fan and had good experience with Netgear routers.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

The problem with Netgear is that they have stated they don't intend to support BT's implementation of /56PD for IPv6. The TP-Link VR600/900 series and Asus DSL AC56U/68U are popular choices.

0 Ratings
DazGee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

I've looked at the VR600 and also notice that TP-Link also produce an AC600 VDSL router but without reading the technical specs for each one, I can't find any comparisons online.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Do you mean AC2600, I think the AC600 is a USB wireless adapter. If so, it is the top of the range model from TP Link. The governing factor for price seems to be wireless speed and is only of interest if intensive use within your LAN for streaming from a NAS etc is required, otherwise the governing speed will be your broadband connection.

0 Ratings