cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StuMcBill
Message 1 of 8

Using a Netgear Orbi with FTTP

Hi,

I've just got a Orbi mesh wifi system which I am trying to setup.  I've currently got it connected to my BT Homehub 6, however, I was wondering, since I've got FTTP, can I just connect the ethernet cable straight to the Orbi and use it in router mode?  Or do I still need to use the modem part of the homehub?

Thanks,

Stewart

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Using a Netgear Orbi with FTTP

As you have FTTP then you already have a modem AKA the ONT. So yes you can connect any router device to it that can handle the speeds.

0 Ratings
StuMcBill
Message 3 of 8

Magic, so I can use the Orbi on its own and disconnect the BT SmartHub.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Yes, just connect the ONT to the WAN port of the Orbi.

0 Ratings
tchodgson
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

But as I said on the Orbi forum, you will lose ipv6 as netgear won’t support BT’s implementation. Personally I don’t think that matters and run my Orbi in router mode without the Smarthub. 

0 Ratings
StuMcBill
Message 6 of 8

Ok thanks.

What does the loss of ipv6 mean in real terms? What difference will I notice? I know what the difference between ipv4 and ipv6 is, but not sure what effect it will have?

Is there no chance Netgear could support it in the future?
0 Ratings
tchodgson
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I have found no difference in day to day use of either mode, that is Smarthub and Orbi in AP mode and therefore with ipv6 and just Orbiin router mode and therefore no ipv6. I am therefore saving electricity and just using the Orbi.  

My guess is that although Netgear have stated that they will not be supporting the BT implementation of ipv6 if not having ipv6 becomes more significant they will lose sales and therefore change their position; if not and it matters to me, I will reinstate my Smarthub.

0 Ratings
StuMcBill
Message 8 of 8

Hi guys,

All sorted, connected the Orbi direct to the FTTP box, and all working well!

Cheers,

Stewart

0 Ratings