cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 21 of 67

Re: Using a Smart Hub 6 as a Wireless Access Point / Range Extender With a Netgear Primary Router

What a pity.  Best go see if I have a spare netgear hub instead.  Annoying.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 22 of 67

Re: Using a Smart Hub 6 as a Wireless Access Point / Range Extender With a Netgear Primary Router

Hi ive been reading your posts regarding the hubs i have 3 smart hubs 1 main router 

do the other routers need also to be set as the same channels as the main and does smart channel need to be on or off?

Thanks in advance

busybee3

/

/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 67

Switch smart channel off and use different channels for each box to prevent interference.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 24 of 67

Yes I have done that also but still works for a while and then stops,I normally use a different sssid for a different room and changed that to the same one as the main router. But no difference in the wifi
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 67

Have followed instructions and it works until I switch off Smart Hub. When I switch it on again it does not work. Reason is that Smart Hub resets itself to DHCP on. Is this reason why others hubs stop working as expected? If not how do I permanently disable DHCP.  Also what happens with BT Fon when hub is used as a wireless repeater; anyone one know?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 67

It won't transmit BTwifi unless connected directly to line.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 67

I have given up! Am using TP Link TD-W9980 as main router as it offer a guest network. Have tried allocating static ip for HH6 both within TP DHCP range and also outside DHCP range. Only success has been allocating HH6 a static IP within TP DHCP range. Works for a while but then get 'no internet access' though can still connect to HH6 and modify settings. Come to conclusion that HH6 is yet another BT product that is, on the face of it a good product but, yet again, is a failure in many respects.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 67

@9411john wrote:

Come to conclusion that HH6 is yet another BT product that is, on the face of it a good product but, yet again, is a failure in many respects.

I am not a defender of the Smarthub by any stretch of the imagination but keep in mind it is a mass produced product supplied for an ISP to give to its customers, who the vast majority of will only use it for what it is primarily designed to do and that is to allow them to connect to the Internet with as little user involvement as possible.

There are plenty devices on the market whose primary job is to do what you want in this instance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 67

@9411john wrote:

I have given up! Am using TP Link TD-W9980 as main router as it offer a guest network. Have tried allocating static ip for HH6 both within TP DHCP range and also outside DHCP range. Only success has been allocating HH6 a static IP within TP DHCP range. Works for a while but then get 'no internet access' though can still connect to HH6 and modify settings. Come to conclusion that HH6 is yet another BT product that is, on the face of it a good product but, yet again, is a failure in many respects.

@9411john

If you need any help with the TD-W9980, then please ask. Some of the features like bandwidth control and the user configurable firewall, may need specific settings, depending on what you want to do.

For the price, its very good value for money.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 67

Keith Baddoe

Agreed the TD-W9980 is very good. I have it set up with Guest wifi and both normal (2.4 and 5) plus Guest work as expected as does ethernet etc. Only problem I have is wifi coverage is not strong enough to cover whole house; hence interest in using HH6 as repeater. I have set HH6 up as others have recommended but whilst local PC will connect to HH6 the TD-W9980 will not (I get no internet access and no connection to rest of home network (printer, network back up drive etc.). Connection from HH6 to TD-W9980 is via TP Link power line adaptors but would not think that would make any difference (power line works OK if connected direct to PC). Problem is I do not know whether problem lies with HH6 (suspect it is!) or the TD-W9980. Unless anyone an come up with a solution I gues it is HH6 on ebay and purchase either another router or power line adaptors with wifi - router looks cheaper option but, again, no guarantee it would work.

0 Ratings