cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 41 of 67

Re: Using a Smart Hub 6 as a Wireless Access Point / Range Extender With a Netgear Primary Router

Don't rule out the Smart Hub 6 - after hours of 'failing' i figured it out and it's Flying!

I created my user account on this forum specifically to post this as help for others. I spent many hours pulling my hair over this 🙂

Conclusion: The instructions work. You just have to wait for a loooong time. Up to 10 minutes!

Background: I didnt want to name the networks the same or split the channels. All i wanted was to use the Smart Hub 6 as an access point to replace the crappy 2.4ghz router provided by the ISP (Sky Hub) - well not replace - but use it only for the network ports.

Also worth mentioning - i have a Mac laptop which doesn't have network ports, so I couldn't connect the routers straight into my laptop, instead I connected to the routers (had to switch back and forth) via WiFi to do all the configuration. Worked fine.

Once i finished the instructions in this thread (minus splitting the channels and naming the SSID the same), i plugged in the network cable between the two routers, connected to the new router from my laptop on the WiFi. All as per instructions.

Here is the important bit i was missing

After i finished the above (which is per instructions in this thread including changing the IP address and range on my ISPs router), i then i went to my browser and tried to load 'Google'. However - all i got was a blank page and the browser spinner working and working trying to connect. This was where I incorrectly abandoned the test, reset the router and started over trying to tweak settings etc.

What i SHOULD have done was to leave the blank page trying to load, which is what i eventually did. After a minute or so i got a browser message 'Server Not Found'. I then repeated the same thing again: Opened a new tab > Tried to load 'Google' again, and again - same 'Server Not Found' message.

I repeated this another 2 times and on the 4th time (i think) - it connected and showed me the Google page!

Since then it's working perfectly and disconnecting and connecting perfectly! So i would say in total the Smart Hub 6 wouldn't let me connect for some 5 or maybe even 10 minutes!

My Android phone was stubborn, but after a restart, and refreshing a few times, it eventually connected too. My iPhone on the other hand connected instantly. My Android tablet also connected instantly for some reason.

It's all now flying and the Hub 6 is so much faster with greater range than the Hub 5 it replaced!

I hope this will help others with the same issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 42 of 67

Re: Using a Smart Hub 6 as a Wireless Access Point / Range Extender With a Netgear Primary Router

Hmm - following my 'eureka moment' above:

The 5 - 10 minute connection happens everytime the router restarts or the ISP has a drop out... Not sure what that is about. Any advice or thoughts here would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 43 of 67

I know! That’s why I dumped it some time after writing the article as this is the issue. The HH6 is total pants and drops it’s connections just as quick!

I thought it was a good idea, but I could not live with the. Instant drops and resets. I suspect it is over-managed (they are locked down) and reboot frequently to try and combat their own inadequacies.

Save yourself some pain and get a proper router - I have 2 net gears now connected similarly and not a single issue since!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 44 of 67

**rse. OK.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Do you recommend the Netgears you have and which ones are they? I am mainly after range, ability to cope with a decent number of Wifi devices connected to it (maybe 10) and dual band. Speed is less important. But i guess that with newer routers you get higher speeds by default, but also better tech for range...

However - when looking at AC1900 devices on eBay - they are some £80-100.. In which case - i might be better off with a BT Whole House Mesh wifi 2-disc kit at around £130-ish?

What do you think?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 67

Hi it will depend on your needs but I have 2 cable routers as we have FTTP so great if you don’t need a modem. I have an older WNDR3700V4 gigabit for the main connection. As this has loads of lan ports I just hooked the smart TV, home theatre and NAS into this, leaving the dual band Wi-fi for anyone with mobiles laptops and iPads. To cover the back of the property I got a Nighthawk 6800. I connected that to the other router using a CAT 6 cable and one of the gigabit ports on each router. So the Nighthawk is again dual band with fast speeds, has USB 2 and 3 port for sharing movies or whatever to all devices - and again I connect the main kit like the other smart tv and Blu-ray and main PC to the LAN ports of this router. I have great coverage and have 4 wireless connections to choose from. I find that I don’t even need to change these as the coverage is very good. It’s a 2 second tap to switch between Wi-fi bands from each router though if really needed.

The whole thing just works flawlessly for me.

The HH6 is dumped in a carrier bag for whenever there is a fibre fault and BT want this piece of hooey connected up for test, then it’s dumped again.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 46 of 67

Fabulous! Haha - OK. It looks like the HH6 needs to go back on eBay. I think i have simpler needs than you, so might get a Belkin AC1750 - 1900 starting at some £25 currently on eBay. We'll see if that fixes my issue.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 47 of 67

Good luck, but at the end of the day ANYTHING is better than a HH, so you’ll be fine. 👍
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 48 of 67

@rnb wrote:
so might get a Belkin AC1750 - 1900 starting at some £25 currently on eBay. We'll see if that fixes my issue.

A wireless access point is what you need, not a router, if all you want to do is to extend the wireless signal.

Like TP-LINK TL-WA901ND 450 Mbps Wireless N Access Point

That has three external aerials.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 49 of 67

But that won’t help with wired connections if the OP wants fast wired connections in addition.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 50 of 67

My set up is working but isn't spot on and I'm wondering if anywhere here can advise what might be. I have a now tv router (a rebranded sky router) as the main box and the HH6 set up  at 192.168.1.10 with the now tv router as 192.168.1.1. SSID's are different and they different wireless channels are set up to not cause interferance.  

The issue I am having is more often than not when newly connecting to the HH6 it "connects" fine but there is no internet connection so webpages don't load. Then 10 minutes or so later it all loads and works spot on. I have been using it like this for a week or so and its OK but I really need to sort that niggle as the kids keep mithering when the wifi doesn't work! 

0 Ratings