cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 51 of 67

Re: Using a Smart Hub 6 as a Wireless Access Point / Range Extender With a Netgear Primary Router

I just like the original poster of this thread - had to abandon the idea of BT Hub 6 as a Wifi Extender/ Access point. It simply wont work, it will come and go constantly. Funnily enough - the BT Hub 5 worked perfectly for this purpose.  Me personally ended up buying a Linksys Access Point. The main reason for that though was that i can run it on POE so dont need additional power from wall sockets that i didnt have at ceiling height.

Save yourself days of hair-pulling and configuring - put the 6 on eBay and move on with an Access Point or another router. As i said - the Hub 5 you can get for next to nothing.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 52 of 67

Re: Using a Smart Hub 6 as a Wireless Access Point / Range Extender With a Netgear Primary Router

I followed this and other guides online and i'm constantly getting a strange error where the ip address is: 169. etc etc

Also, for some reason the bt home hub (slave) seems to keep reverting back to firewall on setting?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 53 of 67

I did this and sometimes it works, but sometimes my iphone doesn't connect (no wifi symbol on phone) but it shows the ip address as: 169.254.176.219. When this happens, I am not connected to the network or internet. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 54 of 67

The 169 address is a self allocated address when your device is not getting served an IP address from your router.

The smart hubs do appear to be flaky a wireless access points whereas the HH5 is rock solid

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 55 of 67

I agree with licorice on the analysis. In layman terms it may seamless, but if the two modem-routers do not have a handover protocol which mesh systems do, it by definition won't be seamless, even though it may give the aura of being seamless. As you move around the house and you come into the range of the slave router, and out of range of the master router, the device will search for the nearest last used network connection, and if it'll be the slave router it'll connect to it.

My understanding is, that if your setup is very good, and your device quick at searching and connecting to the new network, then the disconnection and then reconnection will be quick, and hence appear seamless.

I'm struggling to get my bt hub 6 to work in AP mode. Really frustrating!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 56 of 67

I spent two hours trying to get the home  hub 5 set up in AP mode too, but i think it's broken! Everytime I reassign the router's ip address to 192.168.1.3 or anything that isn't the default, I cannot get back into the router settings! Any idea why? I'm pretty sure I used to be able to in the past.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 57 of 67

@rnb which linsys access point did you buy? I'm after something to replace my bt hub 6!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 58 of 67

@licquorice  I got HH5 up and running and it works pretty well. No disconnection in several hours, unlike the HH6 which dropped every hour or so!

To OP @Abraxis  , I only found out when I got to page 3 or 4 you had problems with the HH6. Might save everyone a lot of time if you updated your original post highlighting the problems  you had with your HH6, and instead advise people to use another router. Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 59 of 67

@blueshift86 

Its always best to use a proper wireless access point like the TP Link TL-WA801ND.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa801nd/?utm_medium=select-local

This has MAC filtering and multi SSID support, and can operate in different modes.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 60 of 67

@Keith_BeddoeThat AP is old skool! Wireless n is old tech! My plan is to use the vox 3.0 box as a modem router with the wifi off, and then hook up the vox 3 to a mesh network in AP mode. That should give us the wifi we desire, without having to get a new modem router. If we start having lots of dropped wired connections, then i'll look at getting a separate modem router.

Thanks for the suggestion though! If anyone knows any reliable newer ones with wireless ac, let me know 🙂

0 Ratings