cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 27

Using a router connected to my Smart Hub 2 via the Ethernet port; saying connection not private?

Hey all,

So I just got my Fibre 900 set up at my home. To aid with good coverage across the house as one room is almost like it's lined with lead, I've always used a third-party router connected to the proprietary one that was changed to a modem mode (previously it was Virgin). I read that the Smart Hub 2 can't be changed to a modem mode, but I noticed I could just connect my third-party router to it via the Ethernet port into the third-party router's internet slot.

I can connect to it no problem, but weirdly on computers (Windows only, I don't get this on my Mac) and mobiles (iPhone at least), it's marked as not having any internet, yet the internet itself works fine, though for some websites it's saying my connection isn't private. I'm guessing this is because it's almost acting as an intermediary? Also, when connecting on mobiles, I have to keep trying to cancel it trying to log into my router through a splash screen before I can use the network, though once it's connected it's there permanently. It says there's a privacy warning in general when I connect to it first time on the phone.

Is this fine what I'm doing? Should I be concerned about any issues? Ideally I wouldn't want guests to have to deal this splash screen nonsense when connecting to my router on their phones? 

Thanks for any advice!

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

Re: Using a router connected to my Smart Hub 2 via the Ethernet port; any concerns I should be aware

Turn off Smart Setup on the BT hub to get rid of the splash screen.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

You might be better using the second router as an access point rather than a router.

To do that give it an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the hub such as 192.168.1.10 and gateway 192.168.1.254 Turn off DHCP on the second router and then connect a hub LAN port to a LAN port on the second router rather than WAN port.

Message 3 of 27

Re: Using a router connected to my Smart Hub 2 via the Ethernet port; any concerns I should be aware

Thanks for the advice regarding the splash screen!

Will changing the access point solve the issue of the connection not being private and it not saying there's no internet when there is? I'm concerned I've compromised the security of our network now!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 27

Security from what?

If you want to keep the second router network isolated from the hub network, then leave the devices connected LAN port to WAN port. The downside is that you will be double natting by doing that.

If you are worried about internet security, it doesn't matter how you connect the devices.

Message 5 of 27

Ah I was just being confused because I'm getting a warning that connecting to the router itself (its network is called NETGEAR essentially) gives me a privacy warning quoted as "This network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic. The names of websites and other servers your device accesses on this network may be monitored and recorded by other devices on this network".

Ideally it would be nice for it to be one singular network, so the third-party router is like an arm of the Smart Hub 2, which would avoid the double natting too I'm guessing? Is this possible through your suggestion before? The primary reason I'm having this set-up (besides having a beefier coverage) is because the Smart Hub 2 is by the window in the far side of my bedroom, and the Netgear router is essentially in the middle of the first floor (where my room is situated), connected by a long cable.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 27

Yes, just configure the Netgear as a WiFi access point as described.

Personally, I would give the WiFi on the 2 routers different SSIDs so that you know which one you are connected to and can also force a switch if necessary  You can give them the same SSID but they won't act as a mesh and devices may hang on to a weak signal rather than switch to a stronger signal. In either case, make sure different WiFi channels are set on each router to avoid interference.

Message 7 of 27

Yes I would certainly give them different names! I'm a bit stuck because I can't find any way to change the IP address and such of my router. It's a Netgear R7800 in case you know about that! No option on the router app or anything like that unfortunately. I'm trying to log into the router which I think is 10.0.0.1 according to the router settings, but when I try to do it on the router's network, I'm being asked to put in a username and password because my connection isn't "private" and I have no clue which one they mean!

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 27

You will always need to enter a username and password on a router to access its management page, the default is usually 'admin' and 'admin' but don't know if that is what Netgear set.I'm sure there is a user guide on the Netgear support pages.

Disconnect it from anything else before trying to configure it and then connect it to the hub when you have finished.

Message 9 of 27

You don't have to use the SH2 (unless you have the Digital Voice product, that needs the SH2's built in DECT base station).

You can connect your router directly  to the ONT - the little white box on the wall.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 10 of 27

I suspect the OP wants 2 sources of WiFi.

0 Ratings