cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Using alternative DHCP Server to Smart Hub

Hi all,

I have previously posted about some of the problems with a large number of devices connected to the Smart Hub ( > 60 in my case 😞  ). Thinking about ditching the smart hub and installing a standalone DHCP server. Does anyone on the community have expereience of doing this and can share ?

Many thanks

Dave

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Using alternative DHCP Server to Smart Hub

I am not sure a DHCP box would assist.

I would presume that 60+ connections into the Hub would be too complex for the Hub (it probably needs more CPU capability to deal with 60 signals passing through than it has).

As the hub only has 4 ethernet ports, I guess you must have 56+ wireless devices which is a huge amount if they are all connected at once.

I think the issue is that you are trying to run a 'professional' wireless network through a home/smb device.

Message 3 of 6

I currently have 60 devices on my home network.  I use a separate DHCP server located on one of my NAS servers. I started to use a separate DHCP server as it appeared to reduce the times my Black Discs dropped down to the 2.4Ghz band when connecting to the SH2.  All of my devices work without issue.  With today’s modern smart home devices, I believe the main issue will be the bandwidth each uses when connected. A great deal of plugs and lights need minimal bandwidth to work successfully, so having a large number of these should not really affect the SH2 performance. If you have a lot of Laptops connected to the system that will be a different matter as the hub firmware tries to control and share all the active connections from these devices equally.  That said we have 3 large Smart TV’s, Sky, 4 Tablets, 4 Smartphones and 4 laptops and have never had any issues with any of these higher bandwidth devices

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for this. I will investigate, I have a Buffalo NAS but it doesnt have a DHCP server. I will look at alternative boxes.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Attached to the hub I have several lan switches distributing gigabit ethernet to varios point of access concentration and ethernet coonected BT Black wifi discs (3) . 40% of connectivity is Ethernet, the rest wifi. With IOT 60 devices isnt excessive........ multiple smart lights, mains switches, speakers etc it soon adds up. The hub is running 900 Mbytes so you might have expected some investment to bring DHCP capacity up to match WAN capabilities. That said happy to invest in stand alone DHCP server to see if it improves some of the 'connectivity' problems. I think BT will need to invest in this area as it will become a bigger problem as time goes on.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Many thanks for the reply.  I have concluded after months of messing about that I have several issues on my network.

1. Despite having 3 Complete Home discs backhaul connectivity is poor (this is a function of my house which has multiple girders and a lot of foil backed plater board and between rooms)  One disc can be ethernet connected but remaining 2 discs have to use wireless backhaul and they are defaulting to 2.4GHz with low signal strength.

2. DHCP intermittent failures.

Despite recent SH2 (FTTP) firmware update problems persist.

I am thinking of investing in a TP Link AX60 (Wifi 6 mesh system ) but pondering how to connect to WAN / SH2 whilst maintaining BT Digital Voice Service and avoiding problems such as Double NAT.  I could use the AX 60 in AP mode but although simplifying connection to SH2 would not resolve DHCP problems and would mean some of the functionality of the AX60 would be turned off.   I will continue to investigete. 

0 Ratings