Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robq77
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Using an Ultrafast Hub as a Modem

Hi,

I've got a new Netgear Nighthawk en route, so I'd like to use the Ultrafast Hub I have as a modem only - any thoughts?

WiFi gets switched off; GbE wired in to the new router WAN port from the Ultrafast; DHCP reconfig so no clash, etc.

The firewall, however, doesn't look like I can turn it off fully, and I'd very much like to do that instead of having to manage two firewalls which is unneccessary. From the FW management page - 

"Allows all traffic to pass through the Firewall. Note: you'll still need to use the Port Forwarding feature to make sure that certain applications work properly."

That doesn't sound like a disabled firewall to me...

Cheers

Rob

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Using an Ultrafast Hub as a Modem

It won't be a modem, it will be a router with wifi and DHCP disabled, you will be double natting etc. There is no bridge mode on BT Hubs.

robq77
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Ah, I figured that may be the case. Anyone got any ideas on 3rd party G.Fast modems then? They seem in mighty short supply, unless I want to order one from China, which I don't...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

Instead of ordering a standard router why didn't you order a VDSL  one with built in modem?

e.g.

AC1900

Nighthawk VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

0 Ratings
robq77
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Yeah, good point - the only available I could find was the Asus that supports G.fast, but I need LACP aggregation for the NAS, which is supported by the R9000 I just bought. Foolishly I though it would be easy enough to bridge the BT HH6, or simply get another G.fast modem Smiley Happy.

Still, what I do have is the R9000 sitting with its WAN port in the BT HH6 DMZ, which seems to be OK for now, if a bit of a hack. I'll wait for a half decent G.fast modem to become available I guess, as the choices seem decidedly limited...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

You could have a look at the Zisa G1000 via Alibaba.

robq77
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

I read elsewhere they work with ultrafast, and have got hold of ZISA via alibaba earlier today. Hey, guess what? They're out of stock Smiley Happy

But good spot, and I shall go back to waiting. So far the dmz solution is working, but I'm not counting any chickens.
0 Ratings
Indianpaddy
Message 8 of 9

Did you ever get hold of a Zisa and does it work OK. 

0 Ratings
nnnnn
Message 9 of 9

This is my first post to pls excuse any errors!

So... I've spent a bit of time researching this as I have a Unifi USG that has it's own DHCP server so needed to change my HH6...

....The business version of HH6 does have a bridge mode... of course it looks the same as the HH6 but instead of "Smart Hub" it's called "Business Smart Hub". Picked up a brand new one on eBay for just over £25.

I haven't tried this in anger yet, that'll be my job for tonight if I get a couple of minutes... but it essentially means I retain BT equipment on my BT line with a bit more flexibility.

0 Ratings