cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
burnie35
Message 1 of 7

Using another router with BT smarthub. Is it possible.

Hopefully this is the correct forum and it can be done. Recently moved house with platerboard walls to one with solid brick walls and wifi doesn't reach one corner of the house that just happens to be my sons room. Did have wifi extenders but cannot finf them anywhere (possibly been binned by mistake).

I got Netgear router from a family member and I was wondering if this can be used in addition with the smarthub as I was told it should increase the wifi range.

Is it possible as between redecorating amongst others things, money is a bit tight at the moment, so want to keep any expense down.

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Using another router with BT smarthub. Is it possible.

@burnie35 

You would have to run an Ethernet cable between the two parts of the house, which could be a problem as you cannot use another router as a wireless repeater, it has to be physically connected.

0 Ratings
burnie35
Message 3 of 7

Yeah, them being connected that part (should have said that) but can I use the router to extend the wifi so that it hopefully reaches his room and is it easy(ish) to do.

cheers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Disable the DHCP server on the Netgear and give it an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the hub.

0 Ratings
burnie35
Message 5 of 7

Ok haven't had time to do this yet, hoping to get it done over the weekend.

So i'm guessing to do this is connect smarthub to netgerar router (wired), turn off dhcp in router, give it an ip address outwith dhcp range, turn off smarthub wifi and connect to routers wifi.

cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

No need to turn off smarthub wifi, you can use both, best to have different SSID for each so you know which you are connected to.  Connect the 2 routers LAN port to LAN port.

0 Ratings
burnie35
Message 7 of 7

Needing some more help here if possible.

Managed to get wifi working on my tablet but no other devices would join as they wouldn't recognise the SSIS password and couln't boot into router stats wired or wireless.

reset router and tried again and again only my tablet joined wifi and no 192.168.1.1.

downloaded new firmware and left ssid as is and everything so far can join but still cannot log into 192.168.1.1.

any help appreciated please.

0 Ratings