Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gwalker124
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Using google whole home with bt broadband

Hi

I am moving to a new house next month and have ordered bt broadband.

I currently have a google whole home WiFi system and wondered what is the best way to use this?

I have also ordered tv and I know the tv box must be plugged into the router but I was wondering if I can turn the router WiFi off and use the google mesh system for my WiFi?

Would this work ok? Also would the tv box still work as it would be cabled into the router using the bt plug connectors and doesn’t work on a WiFi network.

Can anyone see any problems with this idea?

I don’t know my set up as I’ve not moved in yet so I don’t know if there is a Openreach modem in the place and if so can I just do away with the bt router and plug the google mesh into this or is the router still required to do er the routing?

Sorry I am new to this kind of thing and setting up networks usually seems pretty complicated when I try and search for answers on google.

Thanks

Gary
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Using google whole home with bt broadband

First of all will your broadband be FTTC and delivered by copper from the cabinet or will it be FTTP, fibre delivered. If the latter, then you will have an ONT which is an optical modem which you can connect your Google mesh to directly without using a Home Hub. If you will be getting FTTC, the Home hub can't be used in modem only mode. You can turn off the wifi but it will still be routing and natting. You could always buy a stand alone modem rather than use the hub. How are you connecting at the moment in your current house?

0 Ratings
Gwalker124
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for your reply.

It is FTTP so sounds like I can just connect the mesh to that.

Will this work with the bt tv if I run an Ethernet from the google mesh to the tv box?

I only just bought the mesh and staying at my father in laws till my house is ready so I’ve not messed about with any settings. I just simply plugged it in to his router to use as an extender as the signal from the router is terrible as it’s hidden away in the house and it’s thick brick walls.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

@Gwalker124 wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

It is FTTP so sounds like I can just connect the mesh to that.

Will this work with the bt tv if I run an Ethernet from the google mesh to the tv box?

It will not work, as it cannot carry the multicast data. It looks like you may have to return the product and use something else instead. You may have to use the BT home hub, and a couple of BT Mini Connectors (discounted cost for BT YouView customers).

See https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/googlewifi/QsbUJ_itQMo;context-place=forum/googlewifi

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Googling seems to give conflicting information regarding multicast capability, its a serious omission for a router not to support it these days. I guess the fallback position if it doesn't, is to just turn off wifi  on the hub and use that in conjunction with the Google whole home.

Gwalker124
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for this. So if the tv won’t work without the bt hub. Will it work if I turn off the WiFi on the router and use google for the WiFi network but then use the mini connectors (connected to the bt hub) for the tv?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

@Gwalker124 wrote:
Thanks for this. So if the tv won’t work without the bt hub. Will it work if I turn off the WiFi on the router and use google for the WiFi network but then use the mini connectors (connected to the bt hub) for the tv?

Yes, I cannot see any reason why it should not work, as I think others do it that way, but using the BT Whole Home wifi as their wireless mesh. Not sure whether all of the features of the Google unit will work, as some rely on having a direct connection to a WAN.

Have you checked to see whether the Google system can be used with an existing router?

Remember to ask for the mini connectors  (£20 discounted).

Gwalker124
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Thanks yeah I ordered the mini connectors with my order so all good there.

It can be used with an existing router I just wasn’t sure having both of them sending out wireless signals would be the most efficient/best use of the mesh and wasn’t sure about interference levels.

It’s currently working with a virgin hub with both sending out wireless signals but like I said I just wasn’t sure this would be the best option.

Thanks for all your help so far.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

As long as the hub is on a different channel to the mesh there shouldn't be a problem using both. The hub can only use channels 1,6 and 11 on the 2.4Ghz band and 36,40,44 and 48 on the 5Ghz band, split the bands on the hub and set the channels manually as far as possible from the whole home channels.

Gwalker124
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Ok thanks I’ll try that. I’ll need to google how to do that though as I’ve never done anything like this. Sure there will be plenty of tutorials on how to set the channels.

I maybe need a network for dummies book 😂
0 Ratings