cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Using home hub 4 with fibre

I have posted before that our smart hub cuts out every 2 minutes or more. Our phone calls are impossible because we use WiFi calling. It’s unusable. For now, I’m trying the home hub 5.

We took delivery of a home hub 5. It was cutting out. So they sent us the smart hub. That was worse. So far I’m back to using the home hub 5. And it has not cut out so far, so fingers crossed.

I tried everything I could on the smart hub like separating bands and changing channel. Turning off smart setup, changing the wireless mode, but nothing helped.

If the home hub 5 starts cutting out, like it used to, will BT issue me a modem free or charge to use fibre with my home hub 4? As we never had any problems till we moved to fibre and got a new hub.

Thank you 🙂
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Using home hub 4 with fibre

Openreach no longer supply modems.

If you are sure that its not a problem with your phone line, like noise on the line, then try a third party router instead, as they generally give no problems at all.

Here are a couple of suggestions.

TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band VDSL/ADSL about £67

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR400.html#specifications

If you only want single band wireless, then this one.

The TP-Link TD-W9970 for about £40 or less.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html#specifications

They both work will all BT services, including BT YouView.

I mentioned about the W9970 on your last thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/WiFi-keeps-dropping/m-p/1881915#M155229

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

it appears unsual to get exactly same problems with the hh5 and the hh6 and more like suggest a line or conenction fault   many on the forum use a tplink router and have no problems but reading the tplink forum they also have problems just like any other ISP forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

As @imjolly  has said, you need to make sure that you have no issues with your line. Although the TP Link is less sensitive to line noise, it will still drop out if there are a lot of errors.

If its just a wireless connection issue, then a different router should help.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

@Keith_Beddoe   if just a wirelss problem then as I have posted before I find from personal experience the sh6 is better overall that the more expensive dual band tplink VR2600

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings