cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Using old BT hub in holiday lodge

We have a holiday lodge with a random ancient router and would like to try swapping it for our spare BT hub. Is this even possible? 
the Wi-fi is provided by the holiday park. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Using old BT hub in holiday lodge

Perhaps if you were more explicit in exactly what service you have at the lodge and how you intend to utilise the hub we might be able to help. Do you have a broadband service and if so which ISP or just a WiFi service from the site owners.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

I’ve requested the ISP but the info won’t be coming my way for a couple of days. The 70 lodges use the same password to access the Wi-fi. Each lodge has a router. Hoping to do home working. Sorry I’m not very tech savvy.....as you can probably tell!
 I’ll post the ISP when I know. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

If the lodges are only supplied with a common WiFi rather than their own individual broadband connection, I don't understand why you need a router at all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Are you sure that each lodge has a router and that it is not just a wireless access point.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Well we have a hub, that we can switch off, and when we do, it then cuts off the WiFi. It can take an Ethernet cable too. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

@Lynneypinny wrote:

Well we have a hub, that we can switch off, and when we do, it then cuts off the WiFi. It can take an Ethernet cable too. 

But it could be a wireless access point (WAP) and not a router. They are two different things.

I suspect that what you have is a wireless access point (WAP).  They connect to the Internet via a router. In your case the router will be within the resort's office.

You connect by either wireless or Ethernet to the WAP and this in turn connects to the router which in turn connects to the Internet.

If that is the case you can not use the old BTHub.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

So helpful, thanks very much. Lx

0 Ratings