Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vegas22
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

VDSL / BTinfinity 2 alternative modem, your suggestions please

Hi,

Last month we got bt infinity 2 which i'm assuming uses FTTC VDSL2.

Speeds are good (75-77 down / 15-18 up) but the Smart hub is horrible (drops wifi all the time due to thick walls). I was under the impression it could be switched to modem only mode (so I could use my RT-N66U with my NAS boxes etc). However, this doesn't seem to be the case. 

As such, I would like to ditch the smart hub and I thought I could get a modem which I could then hook up to my n66u. However, the only ones I can find are the ECI ones on ebay and for security reasons the device needs to be new (not a used or flashed device / must be manufacturer's firmware)

Can anyone reccomend an alternative that would allow the following:

1) No wifi. (its only use is to get the internet from BT to my asus n66u)

2) Ideally small (but I can compromise on this for price etc).

3) Reliable, the key element here, want to get the best possible/stable connection with bt.

4) Must be new, no previous owners.

To clarify the setup needs to be [ bt wall socket ] > [ device you reccomend ] > [ asus RTN66U ]

Thanks in advance for any help 🙂

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: VDSL / BTinfinity 2 alternative modem, your suggestions please

If you do an Internet search for "VDSL modem" you should find some such as ones made by Dray Tek or Netgear.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
vegas22
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

I was looking at the DrayTek Vigor 130 ADSL/VDSL Ethernet Modem but I would be interested to hear what others are using on here and if anyone had any views on ones to avoid etc

plus when I search for VDSL modem or similar terms, very few actually seem to show up (or at least not many that are just a modem e.g no wifi etc)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

There aren't many modems only on the market.

Most forum members, if they use a modem and router, tend to use the Openreach one which was initially supplied with their Infinity package or if they were not supplied with one because they were supplied the Homehub 5/6 they purchase an Openreach one from ebay.

0 Ratings
vegas22
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Thats the problem I'm having, can't find a new one. the openreach ones can;t be purchased from new (from what I can see) so I'm having issues finding one that will 100% work with my connection (was a lot easier with virgin, their 'superhub' could be switched to modem only mode).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

If it is a VDSL modem it will work with Infinity.

If you don't have to use your present router, you could always buy a VDSLModem/router. They start in price at about £60.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

@vegas22 wrote:

Thats the problem I'm having, can't find a new one. the openreach ones can;t be purchased from new (from what I can see) so I'm having issues finding one that will 100% work with my connection (was a lot easier with virgin, their 'superhub' could be switched to modem only mode).

Although not new, the ECI ones will probably be original firmware as they are non-trivial to flash. Many of the Huawei ones will have original firmware. As gg has said, the choice of pure VDSL modems is very limited.

0 Ratings
stevebrass
Expert
Message 8 of 19

I had a quick look at a well known auction site and there are quite a few listing for new ECI/Huawai modems.

Whether they are new might be debatable of course.

Why is security such an issue?

0 Ratings
vegas22
Beginner
Message 9 of 19

Its due to work, they will only cover the cost of a modem if it is brand new (since a new one in theory has not been tampered with/had custom firmware/etc).

So far, all I can find online is the Vigor 130 that is actually just a modem

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Yep that's pretty much it, that's why everybody buys Openreach modems from Ebay! As I said, ECI ones are extremely unlikely to have been tampered with unless the seller specifically advertises it as unlocked.

0 Ratings