cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

VDSL - Dropout Once a day

Morning,

Wondered if anyone could help, i have Fibre Broadband (VDSL) which provides 70down, 20up (BT Smart Hub Firmware v: SG4B1000E020).

Absolutely no issues at all with the speed, but either in the morning around 8am or evening around 7/8pm no devices can get to the internet, the connection to the router is still active, but you cannot access any web pages etc (a reboot fixes this).

This morning for instance was fine, then randomly couldn't access anything, signal strength was still full, i couldn't even get to the routers management page, here is some bits i have done already:

• Tried a friends BT Smart Hub who had been using it for 4 years at their home with no issue and the issue persisted even with both mine and the friends router having a full factory reset
  • New ADSL cable from the wall box to the back of the router
  • While the issue was happening i my laptop was dropping pings to 8.8.8.8.

Is there anything else i can try, BT have apparently checked the line but cannot see any issue, is there anything i can do? Its obviously hard to troubleshoot as its intermittent, is there anything i can do at the time of the issue? 

With what i have tried im pretty certain the issue is not within the Router, (my current is only 2 years old and the friends i borrowed to test is only 4 years old) I changed the ADSL cable too just to rule that out.

The technical log on the router doesn't show anything either.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, if i have to speak to BT again i would rather have loads of troubleshooting ticked off ready to present to them.

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: VDSL - Dropout Once a day

is it just wireless devices that have the problem or are ethernet devices affected as well?

have you tried a factory reset by pressing the recessed button on back of hub and holding 20/30 secs until lights flash  remember turn off smart setup when reboots

have you turned of smart setup  

Turn Off smart setup

have you split the networks   

Split the networks

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 12

Is it near a radiator that comes on a little before that time ?

I had one unit that always failed at the same time in summer and noted that it was just when the sun hit it.
Moved to a cooler place and it stopped doing it

The BT hubs seem to run quite hot.

Message 4 of 12

Thanks for the replies - do not have any wired connections in the house.

Both existing hub and the hub i used for testing for 4 days have been factory reset.

I have turned off the smart setup as mentioned as a test - but that mentions its regarding new devices, all the devices we have have been connected to the hub for over a year, the issue has been persistent for over a year, but we have just dealt with it. 

Will look at the splitting of the networks if we think that could be a cause of the random issue?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

I have noticed both hubs used get really hot, but not near a radiator at all.
Thanks
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

When I had this problem, BT will not take any action for anything less than 6 disconnections a day.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

@pompey1898 - This is why i haven't bothered contacting them yet, i am out of contract so i wonder if its worth changing provider.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

@TS9999 wrote:

Thanks for the replies - do not have any wired connections in the house.

As you have said that the home hub light stays blue, then its most likely that something local is interfering with your wireless signal. The only way to prove that would be to connect a computer of laptop directly to an Ethernet port of the home hub, and see if that loses connection at the same time.

If its wireless interference, then changing provider would not make any difference. It could be something like a microwave oven being used, or another device which uses the same wifi band.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

@Keith_Beddoe - We have 2 exterior Nest cameras that you can see in the technical log keep disconnecting and reconnecting. I think it could be an old PC where i shoved a wireless network card in it. I have turned off a WiFi extender to rule that out being the cause too, i guess ill have to take things offline and monitor to see if i can find a culprit.

It does seem like it could be interference of some sort, its a fairly big house so no neighbours.

Thanks for all the replies to far. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

@TS9999 

If the lights on the home hub do not change colour when you lose the connection, then its most likely going to be a wireless issue, so a process of elimination may be the best option.

Personally, I do not think that the home hubs cope very well with multiple wireless devices connected.