Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

VDSL Link down multiple times per day - log full of GMP joins

Can anyone help?

Set up is BT Smarthub 6 with Whole Home WiFi. In addition to a number of tv's laptops etc connected to the router, we have Hive and Google Home devices. 

Since end of March I have been working from home. I have been getting regular internet drop outs: multiple times a day at irregular times which appear in the hub log as VDSL Link down events. Some months ago I reported a fault to BT and was told my line was fine.

I know the Smarthub event log is full of GMP joins. Could this be causing the drop outs?

Today I did some tests: quiet line test from master socket - seems OK. I did a factory reset on the Smarthub. I traced the source of the GMP joins to our Google Home setup. We have Google Home Mini, Google Home and a Google Nest Hub. Is this normal? 

SmarthubSmarthubEvent logEvent logVDSL Link DownVDSL Link Down

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: VDSL Link down multiple times per day - log full of GMP joins

Update: should have said IGMP I realise now. Internet dropped out again 20:25 last night: "dsl:VDSL Link Down: duration was 23838 seconds"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Amazing. Not a single comment.....but, my internet connection hasn't dropped for over 4 days now, which is unprecedented. I don't imagine this is a coincidence.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Spoke too soon. Line down twice on Aug 30th, then 5 times yesterday.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

You suggest by posting here someone noticed and did something , ( although you ‘spoke to soon’ ) , this is a customer to customer forum , so it’s not likely anyone from BT would intervene .
Unless the Mods specifically offer to help and invite you to message them, (and even then you would have to provide some info to identify yourself) no one from BT has done anything because of your post....so the brief improvement was just a coincidence.
You should try a process of elimination, and remove items from your network individually and see if any improvement, as far as reporting a fault to BT, in the first instance you would need to have eliminated your own kit as the culprit, doing otherwise risks getting a ‘no fault found’ visit, or ‘customer equipment fault‘ which could result in charges for the visit, having said that, it’s possible that you could be sent out a new hub just by contacting BT and saying you have issues...but chances are replacing the hub won’t solve the issue

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Eliminating own kit is fine in theory, except (1) there's rather a lot of it, (2) disconnections can happen overnight when nothing is in use, except possibly some device initiated updates, (3) My devices are pretty mainstream: BT Humax box, Synology NAS, Apple Mac, Amazon Kindles, Dell laptop, British Gas Hive, Google devices etc. It seems unlikely that they are the issue.

I did have an ethernet switch, but I've taken that out of the equation.

I'm out of contract for BT Broadband, so I might just try another provider and a different router.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

@OscarDogwrote:

I'm out of contract for BT Broadband, so I might just try another provider and a different router.

Do you honestly believe changing provider will solve the problem? 

As pointed out by @iniltous , this is a customer to customer forum. There is a good chance someone will be along and volunteer to guide you through the checking processes, that is, if you are intending to remain with BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

if you are out of contract then you need to do something either renew or move to another ISP as all your discounts have ended and monthly cost has increased as you are now paying full cost for your package

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings