cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 15

VERY Poor Wifi Signal - BT Hub 6

Hello,

We have been having issues with our broadband for the past 2 months now (give or take).

I am getting to the end of my tether and have nowhere else to turn.

Try to do any basic task online from home is just impossible + being an avid PC gamer its almost impossible. 

We have a standard setup with a BT Hub 6 (smart hub?) on the middle floor of our house (3 stories). Top floor is my PC connected VIA TP-Link £100 powerline adapters (up to 1300mps i think, so they are good ones). 

We use wifi for the other devices in the house. The problem first started when i noticed that upon loading Amazon Prime on the TV it wouldnt actually load any movies, it just popped up with a "Low Bandwidth" problem and told me to go sort out our internet connection before retrying.

Last week I purchased the Netgear Nighthawk D7000 router (which was £170 so i thought it would be AMAZING as its meant for gaming etc... and apparently works really well with Powerline adapters).

Anyway, nope, im not back to using the BTHub6.

Had an engineer out early September who looked around everything and told us there was NO issue with the line and that the router was working fine and getting the alloted 24mbps that we should have. However, i showed him around my devices that were ALL getting 0.5-2mbps download speed on not online speedtest.net but the BTwholesale speedtest as well.

After reading another page on the forum a moment ago, somebody advised to run a speedtest and click "Further diagnostics" I have attached screenshots below. 

I apologise if this is a very long post, I just wanted to get as much information on there as I could.

Screenshot 2019-10-11 at 08.55.28.pngScreenshot 2019-10-11 at 08.57.12.png

BT STILL are saying that the line is fine and that they cannot keep sending engineers out when there is no problem.

I appreciate any help!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: VERY Poor Wifi Signal - BT Hub 6

@LukeT 

As you are a business user, then you need to post on the BT Business forum.

http://business.forums.bt.com/

Running a business on a residential account is not allowed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 15

I run a business selling things online. We are registered under a residential account

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

I think if you want better service then as you are running a business on a residential account that is specifically excluded in the T&C and BT can terminate your connection

I would add if you had the same problem with the netgear as the HUB and you connection speed to router is within expected range then you need to find cause of interference within your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

@LukeT wrote:

I run a business selling things online. We are registered under a residential account

That would be against the residential T&Cs, so I doubt you will get any help from BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 15

I am in my 20s living with my parents who all work, I work as well and in my spare time sell things on ebay, This is what I mean by a business. Maybe I should have also included this in there as well....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

so account holder is ?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 15

The account holder is my Mother, I am registered as an authorised user/speaker on the account.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

post the stats from the hub  advanced settings then technical log information

as this appears a wireless problem and as you have shown nothing to do with hub then as long as speed to router is within range then there is nothing BT can do to help

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Its a bit of a grey area, as people do use ebay. Provided you are not registered under a business name on ebay, you would probably be fine. Many people I think, just use a user name.

As for the wifi issue, there is nothing BT can do about it, apart from suggest products to extent wireless coverage, or upgrade to their complete wifi solution, which guarantees good wifi in every room. This would involve extra cost for the account holder.

0 Ratings