Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

VLAN / NoT

Hi,

I am moving house at the end of the month and have ordered Full Fibre 900 with complete home.  I would like to have my home automation devices segregated so they cannot access the internet - is this possible with the supplied hardware?  Usually I would do this with a separate VLAN (to create a NoT (network of things)) for the devices but I doubt that will be available in the consumer-grade hardware provided by BT.  

Any thoughts?

Many thanks, stay safe

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: VLAN / NoT

Treat yourself to a proper router, you won't be able to do it with a Home Hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

You would need to use your own managed Ethernet switch to do what you want.

Depending on how many ports you need, either one of these would work just fine, as I use them myself to isolate CCTV cameras from the Internet, but still allow devices on my LAN to see them. I use the 8 port version, but there is also a 5 port one available.

NETGEAR GS108E-300UKS ProSAFE 8 Port Web Managed (Plus) Gigabit Ethernet Switch.

You can use port based VLANs, which is the easiest option, as shown here.

Capture.JPG

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

I thought that might be the case 😞

I wonder if the Wi-Fi controls options could be used to fulfil my requirements?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Thanks for the suggestion Keith.  My only issue is that would work only for wired devices

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

@Alc wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion Keith.  My only issue is that would work only for wired devices

One way of course would be to omit the default gateway and DNS settings on the IOT devices, then they cannot access the Internet.

I have a couple of old netbooks running Windows XP, which have USB webcams connected. The only entries in the network settings, are the IP address and netmask. I can access them on the LAN, but the cannot get access to the Internet.

I also use a TP Link router, which allows me to block outgoing Internet connections on certain devices. So a better router may be an option, especially if it has an outgoing firewall section.

I do not think the Smart Hub 2 has any of these features.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

I was considering the Ubiquiti Dream Machine, but I guess I won't be able to take advantage of the complete home disks if I did that?

What about if I ran pfsense?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

No the disks need the smart hub 2, but the white BT Whole Home system could be used, or another suitable wireless mesh system.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Can the default gateway be configured within the dhcp settings of the SH2?  If not, can it be disabled so you can run a separate dhcp server?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

I think the DHCP server can be disabled.  A long time ago when I had a home hub 1, the DHCP was disabled and I used my own DHCP server so I could use Open DNS. That would solve you problem with the default gateway and DNS.

0 Ratings