Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jlordy1
Message 1 of 5

VPN Remote Desktop Connection not working on BT Smart Hub

Go to solution

Hi,

I'm using a macbook to connect to a work VPN using the BT Smart Hub. The VPN connection shows that it has connected and doesnt report any errors. When I try to connect using Microsoft Remote Desktop i see the error 'Unable to connect to remote PC. Please verify Remote Desktop is enabled, the remote PC is turned on and available on the network, and then try again.'.

The remote PC is on as i can connect using mobile phone tethering.

I've found throught searching the forum i need to activate port 3389 in the Smart Hub admin. I've done this but don't see any difference. 

Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 08.55.20.png

Any thoughts?

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
jlordy1
Message 2 of 5

Re: VPN Remote Desktop Connection not working on BT Smart Hub

Go to solution

Ok, got this working.

The IP range was the same on the remote network as the local one, so changed 192.168.1.* to 192.168.2.*. Now connects to RDP successfully.

0 Ratings
Daisyrabbit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi - I am very new to port forwarding.  I followed the instructions and attempted to change the IP address, as per jlordy, but received the message "IP is not allowed".  The IP address for the port 3389 was set to 192.168.1.67 so I changed the 1 to a 2 without success.  Any thoughts or advice.  I am having the same problems.  VPN connects with no issues.  I can connect to the VPN when tethered to my phone without issue.  I have only just received my new Smart Hub, so was really hoping this was going to enable me to work remotely.  I can't believe that something so many people want to do is so difficult.

Any guidance anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.  Please bear in mind that although I can follow instructions my technical knowledge on this subject is practically nil! I am loathe to sign up for Bt tech team just to sort this issue.  I am very unlikely to need them again if they can resolve this. 

Many thanks

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

You don't need to configure VPN on your SmartHub if you are connecting to a VPN server on another network - you only need to configure VPN port forwarding if you are running your own VPN server.  If your workplace is on the same 192.168.1.x subnet then you will need to move your home subnet to 192.168.2.x - this is done in the LAN settings - you need to change your router IP address from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.2.254 - this will also change the DHCP range so your home devices should get a new IP address starting 192.168.2.x.  You can remove any VPN entries in the port forwarding page of your router as they are not needed for outbound VPN connection.

0 Ratings
Daisyrabbit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Hi there is no problem with connecting to VPN. It's not mine though it's a work one. Thx for the info but I'll just tether to my phone. Seems so much simpler. I've set it as a task for the IT dept to resolve. See if they can find a solution
0 Ratings