Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scooby99
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

VPN (and now internet) won't work after switch to Windows 10

Hi – I have been using Windows 8.1 alongside the Cyberghost VPN successfully for a while via BT HH5 / Infinity, but decided it was time to update to Windows 10.

After the switch to Windows 10, I could access the Internet but when I tried to use Cyberghost I got the message “you are using a BT Service which requires use of BT DNS Servers and it appears that you are attempting to connect using a DNS Server outside of our network”

Having searched the issue ( I think I found a post by Dave Beddoe but can’t seem to find it now) I thought the answer was to change my PC's DNS address to Automatic, so I went into Network & Sharing / Properties / Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and pressed the “Obtain DNS server automatically" button (after first noting the preferred / alternative DNS numbers).

This didn’t seem to help and I still couldn’t use the vpn – indeed, as an alternative I thought I would uninstall Cyberghost and reinstall so it would perhaps pick up the new Windows 10 settings, but I can’t get back online. Indeed, I have gone back into Network settings, deselected the “automatic” option and reinstated the preferred / alternative choices I noted earlier, but I am now getting the same BT warning  “you are attempting to connect using a DNS server outside of our Network”.

After initially having internet with no VPN, and trying to change the DNS to automatic I now seem to have cut myself off the internet all together !

Can anyone give me an idea how to sort this out, so I can get back on line and also (hopefully) use my vpn again. I am a real novice at this, so baby steps please (assume I am a computer idiot and you won’t be far off !).

Many thanks in anticipation

Scooby 99

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: VPN (and now internet) won't work after switch to Windows 10

Is this on a laptop? If so have you changed both Ethernet and wireless network adaptors to get DNS servers automatically?

0 Ratings
Scooby99
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Hi - no, this is a PC I am having a problem with, which uses Ethernet only and not wifi.

I have literally only changed what I mentioned in my original post - in the Network & sharing centre I have two entries, one for "Network 2" connected by Ethernet and the second is entitled "Unidentified Network / Public Network" which says it is has no internet access and is connected by ethernet 3. I have ignored this second "unidentified" network entirely.

So, under "Network 2" I double clicked the Ethernet 2 link (in blue), which took me to status, then pressed Properties / Internet protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and changed the lower section of the page to "Obtain DNS server address autjomatically". I had noted the preferred / alternate DNS server numbers and after the switch to Automatic DNS didn't sort out the VPN issue, I reverted back to the preferred / alternative DNS serversand now neither the "normal" internet or VPN connection wior.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

At a command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter.

0 Ratings
Scooby99
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Hi - many thanks, I've done that.

I typed in Digital Spy and it did allow me to get to their website ( I am using Edge still). However, when I type in (say) BBC to "Where Next", it gives me various options for BBC websites but when i choose one I get the BT error message re using DNS servers outside of network again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Have a read through this thread, there are a few other suggestions to try https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/BT-DNS-Servers/td-p/1565181/ particularly messages 15 and 17 which suggest un-installing your network adaptor and letting windows re-install it after a W10 upgrade.

Scooby99
Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Many thanks for all your help.

As mentioned, I am novice at this so can I please query how to un-install the network adaptor. I have found it in the Device manager, but there are two sub entries, namely Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller or TAP-Windows Adapter V9. Which one am I unistalling, and I assume to uninstall I highight the correct option and press the Red cross button at the top ?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

The Realtek one. If you highlight and right click there should be an Uninstall option.

Or, yes, click the Red Cross button at the top. (never noticed that before :smileywink: )

0 Ratings
Scooby99
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Hi - uninstalling the adapter has let me access normal internet (thank you so much).

However, if I try to use the VPN I get the BT "outside network" message still, and if I close the VPN down I often can't access the normal internet again - sometimes it work fine and sometimes I get the BT "outside network" message.

As mentioned originally, should I be changing the DNS access to Automatic (whatever that means ?)

I need to sign out for a while but any further help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Cheers

Scooby99

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Changing to automatic means that you use the DNS servers that are specified in your router (HH) rather than the servers you specify on your PC. It is not possible to change the DNS servers on the hub, so if you wish to use other DNS servers it is necessary to specify them on your PC. If you have parental controls activated, only BT DNS servers can be used.

0 Ratings