cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Martin955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 41

VPN issues

Does BT restrict the use of VPNs? As many of us are I have been working from home this last couple of months. For a start via the VPN our company has had set up for years, I used to be a Site Manager & the system worked fine over a 4g dongle. But at home I was finding it very slow, I'm paying for Fibre Broadband so was a little disappointed. I did a speed test & found I was getting 20Mbps, but when connected to the VPN this dropped to 200Kbps. I called BT faults & they made an appointment for an engineer, but it was 10 days away.

I had some discussions with our IT Man, & he said that BT throttle back speed when on VPNs. He did some research & installed an alternative VPN for me. This worked fine for several weeks with no drop in speed. During this time I've had 3 engineers looking at our 1/2 speed Internet. Last week I couldn't get either VPN to connect at all, & our speed issue hadn't been resolved. I had long conversations with BT faults & yesterday another engineer managed to get our line onto a copper cable from the cabinet ti the end of our road. Most of our Village is served by an aluminium cable that should have been replaced 3 years ago. Yesterday afternoon I was getting 50Mbps & the VPN worked fine. This morning I can't connect to the VPN again.

As you can imagine I'm rather annoyed. Why did it work yesterday & not today? Is there an ulterior motive by BT?

Our company has around 20 people working via this set up, only 2 of us are on BT & we are the only 2 with problems. Our IT man says Talk Talk is the best option. 

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES 40
Martin955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 41

Re: VPN issues

Here's an update, I have been using a 4g router all morning, & on advise of our IT Man I switched off our home router for best part of 2 hours. Now that is back on I can connect to the VPN. Our IT bods theory is that I have now gained a different IP address so should be OK for a while until BT realise what I'm doing.

Thoughts please?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 41

BT employ dynamic IP addressing on domestic broadband so yes, it is very probable that switching the hub off for a while will result in a different address being allocated when you switch it back on.

However I have used a VPN, both with and without a USB secure encryption dongle and never had any problem so I doubt that it is a BT issue, more likely either a hardware issue or a stack issue (software).

Next time the problem presents itself, try restarting your machine instead of switching the hub off and see if that makes any difference.

0 Ratings
Martin955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 41

When I had this issue this morning I re started my laptop a couple of times, but it made no difference. I then set up the 4G kit & I was able to connect & work reasonably well as an out in the sticks 4G signal will allow. 

Our IT bod is convinced that BT disrupt VPNs & one person I spoke to at BT when I was reporting a fault sort of admitted this. I just notice that while I've been typing this my VPN connection has gone again.

If anyone from BT is reading this I'm not happy & will most likely be leaving & going to Talk Talk. If you want my continued custom come here with some answers please.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 41

This is a BT residential customer to customer forum. Your post does not go to BT. 

BT do not prevent the use of a VPN.

There are no doubt thousands if not hundreds of thousands of BT Broadband users using a VPN particularly those people who are working from home during the "lockdown"  so who ever you spoke to at BT obviously does not have a clue what they are talking about.

Have you checked to see if your VPN allows you to select IPv6 and IPv4. If it does try turning IPv6 off.

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 41

What would be the rationale behind BT restricting VPN traffic but not other traffic?

Martin955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 41

Thank you Gents. 

I'm not a tech person, I'm happier with nuts & bolts.

I'm going from what our It bod has told me about BT. As I said he only has issues from 2 of us & we are both on BT. His understanding is that they try to prevent people accessing pay for things via back door routes. 

I can't understand why it works one day & not the next, all I did this morning was switch to a 4G router & everything worked, albeit at a slower pace. The only way I could get it to work was to switch off our router for a couple of hours. Everything has been fine this afternoon. I'm in the office tomorrow, so I will have to wait until I'm next connected at home to see what happens.

Stay tuned.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 41

If yours is a company laptop than ask your tech bod about trying another machine, failing that ask him about adjusting the MTU size on the machine you're using now.

0 Ratings
Martin955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 41

It is a brand new machine, I also tried my own today as well and it was doing the same thing.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 41

I think your IT bod also has no idea. Nice easy out for him to blame BT. How does he explain the BT "allow" it one day and not the next or when you switch the router off and back on again. How is this forum not swamped with complaints about it given the amount of people that are using VPNs on BT connections.

It may be a BT fault but it is not a conspiracy to stop the use of VPNs.

Try the suggested offerings and report back how you get on.