Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimSmedley
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 41

Re: VPN issues

Hi.

I work from home and have used 3 different VPN systems over the last 5 years without issue. BT's unwritten policy on people who work from home and VPNs, when i asked ~4-5 years ago, was that they need the residential business and make money out of the extra sales over and above line rental so as long as you don't abuse the goodwill they turn a blind eye to it because they don't want to lose you. If they did ever have an issue then they would tell me to get a business line - they never have.

More recently BT stated in the press that in view of the Covid situation they were gearing up for many people to work from home, which implies many users on VPNs these days, and that they are happy with it.

Hope that helps.

Martin955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 41

Something is odd though, especially with the 1st set up I used, it had worked perfectly well when I was managing sites using a 4g connection. 

When I connected at home it immediately dropped my line speed from 20 Meg to 0.2 Meg. As soon as I disconnected my speed went back up again. 

That seems to me that something is happening on the line. 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 13 of 41

As @TimSmedley  has pointed out, BT recently made a public statement in support of home working during the Covid-19 crisis, it is therefore very unlikely that they are throttling VPN traffic and suggests that the problem must lay elsewhere.

You mentioned earlier that you have restarted your router but have you tried a factory reset?

Try turning off Smart Setup, as odd as this may sound it has proved to be the cause of many evils

Log in to your router, click Advanced -> Broadband, click the VPN tab and turn on port clamping.

Let us know how you get on 

0 Ratings
Martin955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 41

Thank you your reply.

I'm only working from Home on Mondays now, & last week was a Bank Holiday, so today has been the 1st opportunity to see how things are working.

I had an hour or so connected this morning before I lost the connection, I couldn't get the VPN to reconnect, so I switched off & went to run a little errand.

I came back & all was good for another hour or so. Then I looked up what had been said here & I have tried both of your suggestions. This has enabled me to get straight back onto the VPN, so it is looking promising. 

Fingers crossed.

0 Ratings
Martin955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 41

Despite my initial optimism, the same problem has occurred again. I'm at a complete loss.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 16 of 41

Are you using Cisco software by any chance and has it taken over your network adapter?

0 Ratings
Martin955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 41

Dray Tek Smart VPN Client

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 18 of 41

Just wondered, I know from experience that Cisco's VPN client can be a B!@%*

Try here. https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/4921

0 Ratings
Martin955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 41

I'm afraid that is all Double Dutch to me.

I've shown the link to our IT man, he says that is how we are set up.

I've hung my 4G aerial out of the window & I'm connected, although much slower than it would be via the BT line. 

I can't get my head round how the same settings via this work constantly whereas via the BT connection I get 2 hours at best before loosing the connection.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 20 of 41

As unlikely as it sounds, some VPN clients have difficulty working with some routers but it's not a fault, it's a software thing.

Did you try turning on Port Clamping as I described back in message 13?

Do you or your IT bod have another router you can try?

0 Ratings