cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjlee89
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

VPN not working on Home Hub 5 & workaround

Hi, I belive this is a common issue but basically myself and a few users at wotk cannot connect to the company PPTP VPN network. I've logged this with BT and they advise that this has been fixed in the latest firmware but they couldn't confirm what the latest version was, however they could confirm the previous version was 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 which my HH5 currently is. I've gone back to them and asked how I got about updating it to the latest but I've not had any response yet. However I have worked out what the issue is and have worked a way round this issue. I found that when I tried to connect to the VPN with one device such as phone or another laptop, whilst that device was trying (and not connecting) another device could connect striaght away every time. I deduced that the issue was the first connection was opening port 1723 on the HH then allowing the next connection through that port to the company VPN, I then went on to recreate this on the one laptop so created a batch file that did the same thing by trying to connect to FTP using port 1723, a couple of people have tried this with success so wanted to pass on this information for the people frustrated by the level of BT support on this issue so here's en example of the batch files. Just simply created a .bat file and paste the below in replacing the relevant details with yours.

start /min "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" IEXPLORE.EXE ftp://yourcomanyVPNaddress.co.uk:1723 && cmd /c rasdial VPNNAME username* & taskkill /IM IEXPLORE.EXE

Note: yourcomanyVPNaddress.co.uk needs replacing with your VPN address, VPNNAME should match the VPN connection name on your computer and username should be your domain username

I still want BT to fix this issue and get my HH updated to the latest firmware.

I'm curious to see if this fixes your issues so please feel free to comment your thoughts.

Thanks

Martin

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
mjlee89
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: VPN not working on Home Hub 5 & workaround

BT have till not got back to me in typical BT style!

0 Ratings
mbdmbd
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

It's April 2016 - have they got back to you yet?

All this criticism of BT's technical and customer support is causing me second thoughts about swapping to them next month.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

your hub updates automatically you cannot manually upgrade the firmware

Have you contacted BT over the issue you are having ?or just posted here ?

This is a customer to customer self help forum posts made here do not go to BT although the forum is moderated by BT not every post is read
0 Ratings
Highlighted
danielshaw007
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Hi.., did you get it working?

I am trying to allow vpn connections to a windows server 2008 pc, locally it works using the local ip but on the public one with all ports possibly needed forwarded to the server I just get the VPN serer is not configured to allow GRE packets.. port 47 is forwarded as well..

causing headache now

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

@danielshaw007. The original poster had a problem with initiating outbound connections to a VPN server located on the Internet. From what you're stating it seems as if you're hosting a VPN server on a Windows 2008 Server at your home, and trying to connect to it from the Internet. Is that correct or have I misunderstood?

From a port forwarding perspective, note that GRE is a protocol carried by IP in the same way as UDP and TCP are. GRE is protocol number 47 and not a port.

Can you confirm the VPN protocol you're trying to use? PPTP, L2TP, SSTP etc? Also can you confirm the Hub type?

Regards

0 Ratings