cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecarter19
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Very long ping times

Curently on G.992.5 on a fairly long (1.2 mile) direct exchange line.  All things considered the download is not bad at 11.76Mbs with the upload rather poor at 190kbs but the real killer is the ping latency time of 4343ms or somtimes longer. The problem arises when an upload starts (cloud storage service) then the download speed dies and so do steaming services like iplayer. The whole issue seems likely to be due to so called "bufferbloat". The issue seems to have become much worse following the recent network extensions of fibre to nearby businesses. Unfortunately there would seem to be no options so far for local residents to be included in that.

Is there anyway of pushing this forward as normal error reporting just reports the line as OK - which I suppose it is

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Very long ping times

If your upload speed is that low, then anything that takes up all of the upload bandwidth, will slow down or stop any downloads, as the upload path is needed to acknowledge TCP packets. That will also impact on response times.

All you can do is to restrict the speed of any upload tasks, so they do not use up all of the upload bandwidth. If possible, reduce them to 10% of the total upload speed.

I am surprised that your upload speed is so poor, especially if you are on ADSL2+, it should be at least 500-800Kbs.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

This is what I get on a similar line.

DSL

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_2plus

Annex Type:Annex A/L

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 1139 11123
Max Rate (Kbps) 1168 10976
SNR Margin (dB) 6.5 5.8
Line Attenuation (dB) 20.3 36
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
ecarter19
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Thanks Keith. Alas HH5 so no useful measurements. Maybe i will dig out the HH3 and see what the figures look like. Will try restricting upload
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@ecarter19 wrote:
Thanks Keith. Alas HH5 so no useful measurements. Maybe i will dig out the HH3 and see what the figures look like. Will try restricting upload

I use the TP Link W9970, so I can actually control the priority and bandwidth of every device, so background uploading tasks are given a very low priority and can be resticted if needed.

ecarter19
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Yes I think replacing the HH would be a good idea anyway - wifi is awful. Forgot to say figures are from BT Wholesale speedtest . Other sources such as DSLreports give attribute better results to upload but equally poor on ping.
0 Ratings