Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 23

Re: Very slow Wi-Fi, very fast ethernet

Hi Masqias,  i hope that you enjoyed your holiday. Did you ever resolve your problem which sounds very much like the one I am having? 

0 Ratings
Masqias
Beginner
Message 22 of 23

Hi mate, no sadly I never fixed the issue. I am still plaugued by crawling wi-fi speeds that are only fixable by a reboot of the home hub. This fix lasts for anywhere from an hour to a day maybe, it's hard to tell as I am not constantly checking my speeds and I am at work during the day. 

I also sometimes have 'hanging' internet where there is no speed at all, and this is fixed temporarily by turning the wifi off and on again immediatley from my macbook. This does not improve speeds but does let me load webpages at least.

I basically didn't get anywhere with the the help I received here so I gave up. Does this sound like your problem?

0 Ratings
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 23

Hi Masqias, connecting a laptop to the router directly by an ethernet cable shows very steady speeds of about 77Mb/s. Connecting  an iPad or IPhone by wifi gives speeds anywhere from almost zero to close to 70Mb/s - the needle,on a speed tester swings violently. This is under identical conditions and with the devices a foot or two away from the Home Hub. Streaming services like Amazon and iPlayer get buffering and complete stops every time using wifi but are pretty good via powerline adapters. Atmospheric conditions, cochannel interference and distance can degrade a wifi signal but not when the distance is indoors and only a foot or two. All this started just a couple of weeks ago so I conclude that the wifi performace of the Home Hub is failing.

0 Ratings