cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Masqias
Beginner
Message 1 of 24

Very slow Wi-Fi, very fast ethernet

I've had Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited for a year or two and have been very happy with the service. However, around January this year I noticed that my internet would randomly cut-out / go at a snails pace. I thought it was a temporary thing but it didn't resolve itself so I eventually got in touch with BT.

Engineers came out and I was told that the problem was fixed, but in all the tests I've done since then my wi-fi will generally hover around 4 - 8 mb/s, but then sometimes (very rarely) swing wildly up to the ~65 mb/s I should be getting.

Sometimes it will just hang and I'll need to turn my wifi off and on again on my macbook to get it to work again. When I run a speed test on my wired PS4 however, I'm guaranteed to get a steady 65 mb/s. This has been going on all year.

My question is, is this a problem with my router? Or is it a problem with my macbook? I've tried testing things on my wife's macbook and my iphone and I think they're having similar issues, but I've read that High Sierra messed up some people's wifi.

Any help massively appreciated

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Very slow Wi-Fi, very fast ethernet

Make sure you have turned off "smart setup" on the Homehub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

Some devices and in particular Apple devices have a problem with the Homehub dual band having the same SSid (name). You should try splitting them.

See links

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 24

Some browsers appear to be showing 'odd' results when using btspeedtester so preferably use IE/Edge for the test

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Masqias
Beginner
Message 4 of 24

Thanks, done that now. Speeds have been behaving themselves this evening so I'll check again tomorrow to see if thats done anything

0 Ratings
Masqias
Beginner
Message 5 of 24

A day has passed and I've tested again. Both my macbook and phone are coming back with fluctuating results of anywhere between 2 and 19 mb/s. Well below last night's speeds and what I should be getting.

Could this be the home hub? Would a replacement be a good idea? I have the BT Home Hub 5.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

It ćould simply be interference from other routers. Have you tried changing channels?  Does it happen on both 2.4/5ghz networks? Have you tried changing wireless mode?

you could swap the router for hh5 and see if that makes any difference. There is no guarantee of wifi speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Masqias
Beginner
Message 7 of 24

Thanks for your help on this. I downloaded a Wifi analyiser to my mac (£20 - thanks BT!) and had a look at the signals in my flat. There are 30, which seems like a lot, but it's reporting my 2.4ghz as 92% and my 5ghz at 84% signal strength - both classed as 'excellent'.

I tried changing the channel on both, the 5ghz up to 44 from 36 as there were a few others on that channel. This however seemed to make my speeds incredibly slow (less than 1mb/s), so I changed it back to automatic, which ended up being 36.

How do I change wireless mode? What is that?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

if you go to advanced settings then wireless then select the ? in wireless mode it explains about the 3 modes

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 24

Why are you complaing about paying for Wifianalyser when it has nothing to do with BT?

You say it detects 30 channels which is a lot. Do you not realise it is picking up every other wireless (broadband) signal from your neighbours any one of which may be interfering with yours.

Now you know why there is no ISP that can guarantee wireless connectivity.

0 Ratings
Masqias
Beginner
Message 10 of 24

Oh hi pippincp, thanks for your input. I'm annoyed I had to pay for an analyser because my internet has been great for years and has been terrible for the last 6 months. I have had four engineer visits in that time and I'm paying a huge amount of money for it. I guess I'm blaming them, potentially unfairly.

Where in my post did you get the impression that I didn't know that the 30 wifi signals were from my neighbours?

I've really appreciated the help I've received so far on this thread, but I don't see what the point of your comment was.

0 Ratings