Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 24

Re: Very slow Wi-Fi, very fast ethernet

@Masqias wrote:

Oh hi pippincp, thanks for your input. I'm annoyed I had to pay for an analyser because my internet has been great for years and has been terrible for the last 6 months. I have had four engineer visits in that time and I'm paying a huge amount of money for it. I guess I'm blaming them, potentially unfairly.

Where in my post did you get the impression that I didn't know that the 30 wifi signals were from my neighbours?

I've really appreciated the help I've received so far on this thread, but I don't see what the point of your comment was.

I'm not saying you didn't know that the other signals were from neighbours. What I am saying is what do you expect your ISP to do about it? They have no control whatsoever about the enviroment you live in nor any other signal which may interfere with yours. That is why all ISP'S only guarantee a wired connection.

0 Ratings
Masqias
Beginner
Message 12 of 24

I guess the point of me posting here was to ascertain what the problem might be, as I said in my first post I thought it might be my router or my laptop. It would be great to just know.

So in your opinion this is most likely an issue with wireless interference? And there's very little I can do?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 24

If via a wired connection your connection is OK then it is purely down to a wireless problem. Will a third party router help? IDK and it cannot be guaranteed.

As more reliance  is put on wireless devices the problem will get worse and there is absolutely nothing the ISP can do about it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 24

You could try going into the Homehub's settings and turn of Smart Wireless. This will allow you to select your own wireless channel.

Use channel 13. It is not select by routers so it is the least congested and suffers from least interference.

Masqias
Beginner
Message 15 of 24

I've changed my wi-fi channels so that they are on a different one to every other signal I'm getting from my neighbours (13 and 40). This has made absolutely no difference. I've even done a speed test with my macbook almost touching the router, but got a speed of 3.5 mbps. It's still just constantly fluctuating from anywhere between 0.5 and 60.

Is this realy wi-fi interference?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 24

what router are you currently using as newer hubs don't have channel 13 as available

when you use your £20 wifi which shows good signal strength does is fluctuate or is signal steady?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Masqias
Beginner
Message 17 of 24

My router's settings tell me I have a BT Home Hub 5 (Type B) which I think is correct.

When I check my £20 wifi analyser app I can see the last 5 minutes of signal strength as a graph (ok this app was well worth the money). Looks as though the 2.4GHz band sits at around a steady 85%. However, the 5GHz has had FIVE lengthy dropouts to zero in the last few minutes, lasting from 10 seconds to a minute.

Could that be the issue?? Feel like we're getting somewhere here.

Could it be that when I'm connected to the 5GHz I'm getting the crawling speeds, but when I'm connected to the 2.4 I'm getting the fast ones? Would explain the fluctuating speeds. What would case this issue though?

By the way, realy appreciate your help so far.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 24

did you actually split the 2.4/5ghz networks as @gg30340 suggested in his post?  if so have you tried just connecting to 2.4ghz network?  the 5ghz is faster but range is less than 2.4

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Masqias
Beginner
Message 19 of 24

No I didn't but I will try that next. I'm on holiday for a week so won't be able to try until I'm back.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 20 of 24

Hi @Masqias,

Welcome to our community.

Just to add to this conversation.  The 5 Ghz range may offer faster speeds over wireless but the range is much , much shorter than the 2.4 GHz which has a longer range.  I think you have hit the nail on the head, when you are experincing the very low speeds, its plausable that are you are connected to the 5GHz range.

I had a similar issue at home whereby my speed would drop very low and in some cases would drop completely.  I eventually found that the issue was with my phone switching between the 2.4GHz range and the 5GHz range.  I renamed the two bands like GG has suggested and then I chose to ‘forget’ the 5GHz range which resolved the issue of my phone switching between the 2 bands.  I have found the 2.4GHz range much more stable than the 5GHz range but I have some seriously thick walls in my house which doesnt help Smiley Sad

It's definitely worth a try when you are back from holidays.  You can find a little bit more info from this link, Improve your wi-fi with BT - a checklist

Enjoy your holiday!

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings