Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Vigor 2860 BTSport & SKY Q

Go to solution

I have BT Home with BT Sport. 
SKY Q & SKT Q mini

Vigor2860ac

All is working fine.

Except.........If you tune to BT 433 the SKY Q mini disconnects.  100 % reliably. Will also disconnect on other non UHD BTsport channels but takes longer to do so.

Othere wireless devices, for example phones and laptops also disconnect.  Sometimes phone will reconnect sometimes not.  Laptop will not reconnect untill BT youview box is turned off

Workaround add the SKY Q Mini to home network  with ethernet cable....there is a hidden ethernet socket.

This is not practical as the SKY mini is in a room that does not have a handy ethernet socket.

Problem is not my wireless networks....with these disabled the problem still apparent.

If you pair up the QKY Q devices & then isolate from network ie disable wireles on vigor and remove ethernet cable the problem does NOT appear.

If you use the BT router the problem does NOT appear hence BT support washing their hands of the problem.

Have tried vlan with different subnet for SKY, BT, Home.  Have tried limiting bandwidth to BT and also qos settings all to no avail.

Anyone had issues with youview box knocking out wireles devices?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Vigor 2860 BTSport & SKY Q

Go to solution

I suspect that your router is broadcasting multicast over its wireless network and saturating it, preventing wireless devices from connecting.

You need to look at the router manual, to see if you can disable multicast over wireless.

The home hub works because it does not transmit multicast over wireless.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

I would think the best place to seek help would be the Draytek forum.

https://forum.draytek.co.uk/

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@LeMans844

My guess is that the Youview box & Sky Q box are connected to the same 5-port switch (probably Netgear) and the Q mini is usually via the Sky Q mesh wifi.

What happens in this situation is that the multicast transmission to the Youview box floods the switch, in turn flooding the Sky Q box & effectively kills it's wifi system.

In this situation what is needed is a switch that supports IGMP snooping so that only the Youview box receives the multicast transmission & the Sky Q box trundles on quite happily not knowing anything about what the Youview box is doing.

How do I know this? Well this is exactly the problem my son experienced and I resolved it by installing a TP-Link TL-SG105 switch which he later replaced with the 8-port version.

Hope this is your situation as it's a £20 fix.

LeMans844
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@TimCurtis

Yep that's cracked it.

You have to enable the Vigor as IGMB Proxy  in order to receive the BT channels. 

(IGMP Proxy acts as a multicast proxy for hosts on the LAN side. Enable IGMP proxy to access any multicast group. )

Enabling snooping has resolved - or at least its not broken for over 30 minutes.

Enable: Forwards multicast traffic only to ports that are members of that group. Which in this instance is the YouView box on one port

Disable: Treats multicast traffic the same as broadcast traffic.

I don't have a switch  - or at least not  connecting the Youview box & SKY Q  - I do in the office where there are multiple  PC.

The Vigor has a  6 port gigabit router built in and the TV, HiFi Streamer, Youview Box and main SKY Q  connect to this.  Following your explanation it is the router itself being flooded. ( it's not the Vigor wireless that is the cause as the problem is apparent with wireless disabled. )

I'm a little bit puzzled why connecting the Sky Q mini via ethernet also resolves - the router is still flooded but I presume the SKY Q connection is now via my ethernet rather than its SKY Wireless network which I guess is still shafted.

Anyway bottom line is enabling snooping works,  Cheers Tim much appreciated

Dave

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@TimCurtis wrote:

@LeMans844

My guess is that the Youview box & Sky Q box are connected to the same 5-port switch (probably Netgear) and the Q mini is usually via the Sky Q mesh wifi.

What happens in this situation is that the multicast transmission to the Youview box floods the switch, in turn flooding the Sky Q box & effectively kills it's wifi system.

In this situation what is needed is a switch that supports IGMP snooping so that only the Youview box receives the multicast transmission & the Sky Q box trundles on quite happily not knowing anything about what the Youview box is doing.

How do I know this? Well this is exactly the problem my son experienced and I resolved it by installing a TP-Link TL-SG105 switch which he later replaced with the 8-port version.

Hope this is your situation as it's a £20 fix.

Nice one @TimCurtis

Bravo Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@RobbieMac

Would a rewritten reply of mine be a useful sticky on one of the subforums as this in future might be more of an issue?

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@LeMans844

Glad that was quite simply solved and at no cost.Smiley HappySmiley Happy

0 Ratings
LeMans844
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@TimCurtis  yes perhaps also as an addendum to this thread that told me to make the vigor a IMGP Proxy - couldn't find thread yesterday but found it today.....

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/IPC6023-Draytek-Router-Solution-for-you/m-p/1782084

0 Ratings